Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly went past media reporters and snubbed requests for interview following his team's defeat against Germany in the Group G opener in the 2014 World Cup.
There is no denying that Ronaldo put on the best game that he could in Portugal's opening match against Germany, despite recent injuries. The 29-year-old Portuguese footballer played the entire 90 minutes of the game, but unfortunately, he was ineffective to stop the Germans from punishing his team for the fourth consecutive time.
Germany's Thomas Mueller's hat trick and Matt Hummels' goal, in addition to their well-played defence, made it effortlessly easy for them to Germans to win the match.
"Three players are down to talk to the media and I am not one of them," Ronaldo was quoted saying as reported by Sydney Morning Herald. It was Ronaldo's 112th international appearance.
Prior the match in a press conference, Ronaldo boastfully stated that he doesn't need to prove anything. He said that his "statistics and CV" can perfectly explain what he can do as a football player even though he hasn't won a World Cup record.
"I have no words for that question, I just have to continue my career, which has been great so far," Ronaldo said.
Portugal has lost for the fourth time against Germany in all major tournaments. The Germans also beat the Portuguese in the 2006 World Cup as well as in the 2008 and 2012 European championships.
Portugal will play against the United States and Ghana on June 22 and on June 26, respectively.
Meanwhile, Thomas Mueller who scored the first hat-trick in the 2014 World Cup was ecstatic of such feat. "Three goals in one match, in the opening match against such an opponent is just great," Mueller said after the match as reported by The Hindu.
"In the last four years, I've had some experience in world soccer and I'm not the kind of guy who gets afraid."
Germany will play against Ghana on June 21 and the United States on June 26.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ: