AT&T is now rolling out the official Windows Phone 8.1 update for the Nokia Lumia 1520. Know the download and installation steps, and what users will get from the latest firmware for Windows smartphones.
Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1
AT&T users of the Nokia Lumia 1520 can now get the latest Windows Phone 8.1 update live. It has been released on June 24 and expected to reach all customers in the United States soon. Windows Phone 8.1 contains various features such as a virtual assistant, new keyboard and several customisation options. Here are complete details of the new software according to AT&T:
1. Cortana - a voice activated digital assistant for queries, recommendations and suggestions.
2. Customisable Start Screen - allows configuration of Live Tiles in different sizes, enables personalisation of the Start Screen, transparency on the Live Tiles to set a background image.
3. Camera Upgrade - enhancements on the 20 MP PureView camera including an improved version of Nokia Creative Studio and Nokia Storyteller.
4. One Windows - unification of Windows Phone to Windows PC and tablet such as OneDrive with 7 GB free cloud storage, Skype for voice and video calls, Bing with Bing music and Local Scout, and Office for viewing, editing and sharing Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
5. Xbox Enhanced - Xbox app is now native on Lumia 1520 with support on Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Video using the user's Microsoft account.
6. More Efficiency - optimisations on the Action Centre, virtual keyboard with Word Flow, new battery saving app, Data Sense, Storage Sense and Wi-Fi Sense.
7. Updated Browser - new Internet Explorer 11 version that introduces Private Browsing and Reading Mode.
8. Custom Volume - adjust volume levels of the phone ringer, alerts and more individually.
9. Device Search - find emails, SMS and files easily using "name" as keyword.
10. Accessibility - improvements for the Visually Impaired.
11. Office Remote - display content on larger monitor using USB cable or Miracast technology.
AT&T noted that the Windows Phone 8.1 software has the size of 250 MB and delivered via Over the Air update on Wi-Fi connection only. According to the network carrier, settings and data files are not supposed to be affected by the firmware update but it is recommended for users to back up everything to a computer for safety precautions. Windows Phone 8.1 update procedure will take up 15 or 20 minutes of installation time depending on the Internet speed.
1. Connect the Nokia Lumia 1520 to Wi-Fi connection with an active Internet access.
2. A notification should prompt and users only need to follow the steps. In case the update has been postponed, the notification will appear after two days.
3. After downloading the firmware, do not interrupt the installation process to avoid any complications.
4. The device may restart during the installation process and it is completely normal.
In case the device has not yet received the firmware, users can force by going to the Start Screen > Settings > Phone Update > Check for Update to receive the notification. Windows Phone 8.1 from AT&T has the build version of 02061.00050.14273.33019.