Google's Nexus 4 is now sold out at the Google Play Store. U.S. buyers who want to purchase the device could instead order the item from T-Mobile online stores which sells the 16GB model of Nexus 4 with a two-year service contract for $399.
The manufacturer-retailer arrangement is the best argument why there should be a corporate marriage between Google and T-Mobile, as proposed by Ryan Whitwam in Extreme Tech.
Mr Whitman pointed out that the Android OS, developed by Google, is now the world's most popular phone platform overtaking Apple's iOS. He attributed the dominance of Android to its remarkable open source capability, making it very popular among users, developers and manufacturers.
But beyond the Android OS, Google has few more things that it needs to do within the mobile industry and definitely has more room for improvement.
1. Google has no retail experience and an example of this is the mounting number of complaints and issues in selling Nexus 4 at the Play Store. Users have experienced Web site errors, lost orders, long delays and their orders continue to be taken even if it has sold out the initial stock and many prospective owners still haven't received their units.
2. Google plans to acquire spectrum licenses for a mobile network and have been reported talking to Dish. This is very good for both Google and Android loyal followers to have their own network that will extend Google Fiber to many places and improve 4G LTE network itself.
3. A pleasant experience is also important especially when dealing with networks. Galaxy Nexus buyers had unpleasant experience because of 4G LTE network problems in the U.S. and manufacturers had to make the device for HSPA+ feature only. For the technology today, network capability is vital to advance smartphones usage with the latest generation of network in the market.
After the merger between AT&T and T-Mobile, the latter was almost killed by federal regulators in 2011, with almost 500,000 subscribers jumping to other carriers which led to falling revenues for T-Mobile.
Joint Google and T-Mobile Powers
Mr Whitwam pointed out that Google needs retailing ability to improve the promotions and sales of its Android devices, Chromebooks and cloud service by tapping the retail outlets of T-Mobile.
Compared with Apple, iOS users can simply go to Apple stores for any repairs and services they need and these stores are basically available in shopping centres. Google can use T-Mobile stores to serve consumers who need services and repairs. Android users, thus, won't be limited to their respective brands alone for repair needs.
For the network goals of Google, T-Mobile has the equipment to make it possible. Google has the funds and T-Mobile has the cell towers waiting for deployment. A corporate wedding will result in combined stability and resources for all Android owners with support of the latest network generation.
Android gains wider 4G network access
The fourth generation wireless network technology or 4G delivered tons of improvements and new features than its predecessors. Tapping into the 4G network will give more power to Android devices once Google acquires a telecommunications company. Android users have thirst for data consumption whether by 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi technology because of the open source it possesses which makes streaming online easy, massive downloading even by torrent to the smartphone, and live video chats possible.
Advantages of 4G network
- Interactive support of multimedia, voice and video streaming, Internet, and other broadband related services
- IP-based mobile system
- High speed, high capacity, and low cost per bit than 3G
- Global access, service portability, and scalable mobile services
- Seamless switching, and variety of driven services
- Better scheduling and call admission control
- Ad hoc and multi hop networks
- Better spectral efficiency
- Compatibility with several pre-existing technologies like WCDMA, Bluetooth, and Hyper LAN
4G technology makes smartphones and any other connected devices as mobile routers which means the more users congregate, the additional access to the network capacity increases.