Sony just released the source kernel for Xperia Z1 Compact that will enable third-party developers to create better custom ROMs, apps and related stuff for the smartphone. In addition, Xperia Z1 Compact can also be rooted with ClockworkMod recovery Touch version.
Sony Outs Source Kernel
Android device source kernel is important for custom ROM developers, and Sony released the source kernel for Xperia Z1 Compact shortly after official launching. Owners of the T-Mobile smartphone can now expect quick developments of upcoming custom ROMs for Xperia Z1 Compact which gives ultimate purpose for gaining root access and installing custom recovery like ClockworkMod.
Those interested may download the source kernel for Xperia Z1 Compact from Sony's official developer Web site with build version 14.2.A.1.114 and sizes up to 347 MB.
Root Access and ClockworkMod
Advanced users who desire to gain root access on Xperia Z1 Compact can install ClockworkMod recovery as they wait for custom ROMs. Here is an easy to use tool kit for the smartphone.
XDA forum member and developer DooMLoRD released a working rooting tool kit for the smartphone which, by the way, has been tested and confirmed to be working perfectly. Users will also get a ClockworkMod based recovery 18.104.22.168 with Touch controls for Xperia Z1 Compact.
1. Standard ClockworkMod recovery with Touch 22.214.171.124
2. Kernel is made insecure
3. ADB debugging is now enabled as default in the OS
4. Camera works perfectly as well.
Be warned that unlocking the boot loader without TA backup will lead to irreversible loss of DRM keys.
According to DooMLoRD, it is also highly recommended to install busy box after rooting the smartphone which can easily be downloaded via Google Play Store. Users can install the busy box in pathway /system/xbin on the device.
Gaining Root Access
Before beginning the rooting process of the Xperia Z1 Compact, users need to make sure that they have fulfilled the following requirements.
- Use this rooting tool kit for Xperia Z1 Compact only.
- Be reminded that root access will remove any warranty.
- Enabled USB debugging by going to Settings > Developer options.
- Download and install the necessary USB drivers on a computer.
- Unlock the boot loader of the Xperia Z1 Compact.
- Battery level should be at least 50 per cent.
Warning: Rooting a device will remove any warranty and may even damage it. We are not responsible for any warranty lose or errors that may occur. Do this at your own risk!
1. Create a new folder on a computer and then extract all fast boot files to it.
2. Copy and paste the rooted kernel image file to the folder where the fast boot files are located. Rename the kernel file as "boot.img" for simpler processing.
3. Switch off the smartphone and then boot it into Fast boot mode. Press and hold the volume up key while connecting it to a computer using a USB cable.
4. In the folder, press and hold the SHIFT key and then right click to select "open command window here."
5. Enter the following commands: fastboot flash boot boot.img
6. Then enter: fastboot reboot
7. Thr Xperia Z1 Compact is now supporting ClockworkMod recovery.
1. Copy the SuperSU file to the microSD card of the smartphone.
2. Reboot the smartphone into Custom Recovery mode. Enter the following commands on the command window: adb reboot recovery.
3. Install the SuperSU by selecting "install zip > choose zip from SD card > SuperSU zip file."
4. After that, go back to the main menu and then select "reboot system now."
Congratulations! The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is now rooted with ClockworkMod recovery Touch-enabled custom recovery.
For comments or bug reports, users can send their feedback to the XDA official thread of the Xperia Z1 Compact root access.