Melanie Brown’s gig on Channel 10 has been blocked by her previous Australian network. The former Spice Girl, who was embroiled in a court battle against Channel 7 earlier in 2013, had no choice but to pull out of guest-hosting Ten’s “The Project” after Seven enforced a “cease and desist” order on Friday.
The 38-year-old singer, who was famously known as Scary Spice, signed an exclusive agreement with Seven that prevents her from appearing on rival stations until Jan 31, 2014. She was to appear on the channel’s recently concluded “The X Factor,” but told the network she would not be fulfilling her contract because she was having custody issues with the fathers of her children.
Seven has launched a legal procedure against Brown when she signed with Nine to become a judge on the talent competition sow “Australia’s Got Talent,” claiming that she is still under contract with Seven.
In April, the court sided with the network, effectively barred Brown from participating in Nine’s program. Her fellow Spice Girl, Geri Halliwell, took her place in the show instead.
But it seems Brown hasn’t learned her lesson.
On Friday, she was pulled from Ten’s “The Project” at the last minute when Seven blocked her appearance on the rival network’s show.
Ten, meanwhile, was under the impression that she was given a go to appear in the talk show.
“Her management said it was all good to go,” executive producer Craig Campbell said. “Then there was a bit of ‘cease and desist’ from Channel Seven that was enforced yesterday afternoon and we had to pull all our promos.”
For her part, Brown maintained her innocence, telling News Corp, “I don’t really know about all that, I’m just here working.”
The British singer is currently in Australia to promote her new single “For Once in My Life.”