International Data Corporation (IDC), a research firm, has reported more than 19 million wearable devices will be shipped in 2014 and 112 million in 2018, while another research firm NPD DisplaySeach said it could be as high as 48 million this year, which will become 91 million in 2015.
Smartwatches have huge market potential as many new apps will be introduced soon. Google Play Store has already launched a dedicated "Android Wear" section with 29 apps in it for now.
Below is a list of five must-have apps for your Android Wear, which will actually be useful to any buyer.
1. Runtastic and Runkeeper. One of the most essential features of a smartwatch, apart from connecting with the other devices, is its ability to keep a track on health and fitness. Runtastic and Runkeeper are two widely popular fitness apps which the user can start a run/bike session with a voice command. The users can also check out the post-work out summary notification displaying the activity details on the Android wear.
2. Path Talk - The Messenger. It is a free messenger for Android which also supports smartwatches. One can see all the messages, including maps, photos and stickers in the Android wear and reply with a single tap on the check mark or using voice to text. The most interesting feature of Path Talk is that all the messages sent in Path Talk are automatically erased from their servers after 24 hours, keeping your chats private.
3. MediSafe Meds and Pill Reminder. This app is helpful for people with complex health conditions like diabetes or cancer. It also useful for setting reminders for taking regular pills like vitamins. It is a medication management app which sends the notifications on the user's smartwatch to take the pill on time and mark the dose as taken, the use just needs to shake his wrist.
4. 1Weather: Widget Forecast Radar. This Android app gives you real-time weather forecasts which automatically updates whenever you are on the go. It has comprehensive map layers like clouds, wind speed, relative humidity and surface temperature. It also shows severe weather layers like hurricane, snow, tornados, fire and flood, which is available only in the U.S. for now. Its simple interface makes it more user-friendly.
5. Thomson Reuter Eikon. It offers the user a set of financial tools with interesting features like comprehensive market summaries, real-time data and quotes around the clock, research from award-winning analysts, alerts and notifications for news, market data and research on your Android wear.