Torture tests of electronic devices used to involve scratching the phones with coins and knives, dropping it from certain heights on hard surfaces, dunking it in water and hitting it with a hammer. In some extreme cases, the phones are run over by vehicles.
A device tester who goes by the name TechRax decided to try dousing his Samsung Galaxy S4 with half a bottle of Pepsi in a unique kind of torture test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24pGj16WHM8). The result is quite surprising because after pouring half the big bottle of soda on the made-in-South Korea phone, it was still working.
The experiment may look weird, but in real life phones could really be accidentally doused with various types of liquid such as beverage, so some viewers of YouTube - where the video got more than 1.7 million hits - find the torture test great.
But some viewers doubt it, with one warning the owner of the S4 to wait for two days before the phone turns bad. Noctis found the trial a first world problem for people who have nothing better to do in life.
DELRO predicted that after a few moments, the phone would go dead because the chemicals in the soda when it comes in contact with the device's board, would cause it to short circuit.
Miko decided to be funny, but at the same time realistic when he wrote: "I thought that the phone will throw a message, SAMPLE DETECTED PEPSI, and all other things, how much sugar in pepsi, and other chemicals, and on the end say, pepsi not good for your health."
Kenyi Bullen Baggu followed it up with a question, "IS pepsi healthy for the phone, if not health(y) for a person?"
While the phone may have survived the dousing, the question over the ingredients used to make beverages such as Pepsi and Coke products continues to be questioned by different groups.
In May, there was an online petition in Change.org initiated by a Mississippi teenager who sought the removal of brominated vegetable oil from Pepsi's Gatorade and Coke's Powerade. Sarah Kavanagh pointed out the ingredient is a flame retardant and not approved for use in Japan and the European Union.
It may not be dangerous when thrown on a mobile phone, but could be hazardous when ingested by humans.