The U.S. mobile network operator AT&T is rolling out Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS (I317UCUCNE5) software update to the long-awaited Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317 model) owners. This software update is effective starting June 25, 2014 for Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The Note 2 owners will be getting a push notification to let them know about the underlying update.
According to Samsung's official Web site, this software package consists of update to Android KitKat 4.4.2 along with many improvements.
Here is a list of changes that Galaxy Note 2 (I317 model) users will pick up, upon updating to Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update.
- Wireless Printing: Once updated to Android 4.4.2, the Galaxy Note 2 will support printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Pre-loaded app/service: Beats Music comes preloaded with this software update.
- Set sound for Apps: Users can now set sound for Samsung apps (call/message/email/calendar) via Setting -> my Device -> Sound -> Samsung applications.
- Access to New Lock Screen: Users will now have access to Camera application straight from the lock screen of the device. In addition, Galaxy Note 2 users will get full-screen album art and media controls while listening to music.
- NFC Support: New platform support for secure NFC-based payments/transactions via Host Card Emulation (HCE) is added.
- UI Improvement: All SMS and MMS messages are listed together in the same application, in addition to the existing list of other conversations and video calls. There by making it a comprehensive messaging interface.
- Immersive Mode: Contents like photos, videos, maps, books, and games can be viewed in the improved full-screen immersive mode. It is worth noting that, the UI is hidden when interacting with the files/content.
- Redesigned Status and Navigation Bars: The status and navigation bars are translucent now; hence it can sit on top of apps, along with the status bar icons/widgets.
- Brand new storage access framework: It is a simplified framework, where users can browse/open documents, images, and other files, across major document storage providers as preferred by the customer.
- Consolidated Location Settings: Location services are now improved, integrated and more detailed.
- Emoji variety: Lots of new Emojis are introduced with this new update.
- Pop-up message removal: Prevention Information pop-up message is suppressed.
- New update to video player closed captioning: To do this, navigate to Settings > My device > Accessibility > Google subtitles (CC) and Samsung subtitles (CC).
How to verify the current software version?
Navigate to home screen -> Menu -> Settings -> More -> About Device. The build number and the software version will show the existing software version on the phone.
How to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update?
Software updates from mobile network carriers will be automatically download to the compatible devices with an option to install now or later. If the user chooses to install now, the phone will reboot and the installation process will start.
Now, the user should follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the software update. If the user chooses to install later, he/she will receive reminders to install the update until the installation happens. Also note, software updates are sent OTA (Over-the-Air) to the compatible devices in stages. Therefore, the date may vary.
Did you get your Galaxy Note 2 software update yet from AT&T? What is your feedback? Feel free to leave a comment.