Like Nexus 4, Nexus 5 updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P is possible to be rooted using SuperSU. Additionally, users can also install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP by following these steps.
1. Manually backup all data files and personal settings stored on Nexus 5.
2. Battery level must be at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on Nexus 5 located at the Settings menu.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for the smartphone on the computer.
5. Unlock the bootloader of the LG Nexus 4 to install the rooting app.
7. Download the Fastboot tools on the Windows computer.
8. Download the SuperSU version 2.00 to the computer.
9. Download the ClockworkMod 18.104.22.168 custom recovery to the computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any issues which may occur on the Nexus 4. Read and follow the instructions properly to avoid errors to happen. Do this at your own risk.
Gaining Root Access:
1. Extract the Fastboot tool to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory on the computer. The directory should appear after the Android SDK has been set up.
2. Transfer the files of the ClockworkMod recovery to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" on the computer.
3. Connect the Nexus 5 to the computer using a USB cable then copy and paste the SuperSU file on the internal storage.
4. Turn off the smartphone then reboot into Bootloader mode. Press and hold the volume down and power keys at the same time till you see some text on the display. The smartphone must remain connected via USB connection.
5. On the computer, find the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window inside the folder.
6. Type the following commands without the quotation marks:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-hammerhead.img"
7. After that, select Recovery mode from the menu.
8. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup for the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." Restore the ROM in case something goes wrong or whenever desired.
9. Flash the rooting zip file on the device. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
LG Nexus 5 will reboot automatically and may take three to five minutes before reaching the home screen. For verification of root access, download the Root Checker at the Google Play Store.
For any issues, send your feedback to Team Android official rooting page for LG Nexus 5 running KTU84P firmware.