The OnePlus One was released in June, whereas the HTC One M8 hit the store shelves in March. Notably, the OnePlus One is one of the best phones of 2014 that comes packed with impressive features and stands on its own alongside the top-sellers. The HTC One M8, on the other hand, is one of critics' favourite handsets owing to the phenomenal under the hood performance. Readers who are interested in the OnePlus One or the HTC One M8 should check out the specifications, features and price comparison.
Display, Exterior and Size
The OnePlus One comes with a LG G3-like 5.5-inch LTPS LCD display, whereas the HTC One M8 features a relatively smaller 5.0-inch IPS LCD display. However, both the handsets come bundled with the same screen resolution of 1,080 x 1,920 pixels. The difference comes in the form of pixel strength. The OnePlus One can support up to 401 ppi, while the HTC One M8's pixel density stands at 441 ppi.
Packed with impressive screen resolutions and pixel densities both OnePlus One and HTC One M8 provide stunning viewing experience. Nevertheless, the unique selling point of the OnePlus One handset is the magnesium exterior. In addition, the One's back panel is alterable with many material choices like bamboo, kevlar, and denim. The HTC One M8, meanwhile, features a bold, brushed metal design packaged with a wrap-around unibody frame, curved to fit the hand comfortably.
The thickness and the weight of OnePlus One are 0.35-inch and 162 g respectively. Whereas the HTC One M8 is 0.37-inches thick and it weighs 160 g.
Hardware, Software and Memory
The OnePlus One is powered by a solid quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz and 3 GB of RAM. The One M8, on the other hand, is powered by the same processor unit but it is clocked at 2.3 GHz and houses only 2 GB of RAM
The OnePlus One runs on the unique combination of Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with CyanogenMod 11S UI, while the HTC One M8 runs on Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with HTC's Sense 6.0 UI. However, the Android OS version is upgradable. When it comes to memory, the OnePlus One provides 16 GB and 64 GB of internal storage with no microSD card support. The HTC One M8 comes with 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage capacity along with microSD card support for expansion up to 128 GB.
Camera and Battery
The OnePlus One sports a 13 MP rear-facing camera with dual-LED flash and a 5 MP front-facing shooter. The HTC One M8 houses a unique 4 UltraPixels rear-facing camera unit with dual-LED flash and the same 5 MP shooter in the front. Peculiarly, the main camera unit of HTC One M8 has a total of 2 lenses (Duo Camera) to capture picture-perfect images.
Furthermore, the HTC One M8 houses a Li-Ion 2600 mAh battery unit, whereas the OnePlus One comes with a powerful Li-Ion 3100 mAh battery unit. However, both the batteries are not user-replaceable.
1. Both the phones come equipped with Wi-Fi, LTE and Wi-Fi hotspot support. Nevertheless, the difference comes in the form of Bluetooth connectivity. The OnePlus One goes one step further and supports Bluetooth v4.1, while the HTC One M8 supports the standard Bluetooth v4.0.
2. In addition, both the phones support NFC. While the HTC One M8 supports Infrared port, the OnePlus One doesn't.
3. The OnePlus One comes in silk white and sandstone black hues, whereas the HTC One M8 comes in gray, silver and gold colours. It is worth noting that, the HTC handset also comes in bright colours like red and pink among others in selected markets.
4. Interested readers can check out this Bamboo StyleSwap Cover specific to the OnePlus One handset. This killer cover can be purchased for US$49.
5. Both the phones do not feature dust/water resistant exteriors.
6. While the HTC One M8 houses nano-sim, the OnePlus One comes with micro-sim support.
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Listed by Korean and Japanese Carriers as Release Date Nears - [Read]
2. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Powered by Intel Core i7 and Intel Core i3 Now Available in the U.S. and Canada; Price and Specs Listed - [Read]
3. Fresh Images of iPad Air 2 Rear Shell Leaked in Light-Golden Hue; Current-Generation iPad Air Gets Discount in Amazon - [Read]