Both OnePlus One and HTC One M8's plastic-equivalent, the HTC One E8 (aka HTC One Ace) were released in June. Readers who are interested in the OnePlus One or the HTC One E8 should check out the specifications, features and price comparison.
Display, Exterior and Size
The OnePlus One comes with a LG G3-like 5.5-inch LTPS LCD display, whereas the HTC One E8 features a relatively smaller 5.0-inch Super LCD3 display. In addition, both the handsets come with the same screen resolution of 1,080 x 1,920 pixels. However, the pixel density differs. The OnePlus One can support up to 401 ppi, while the HTC One E8's pixel strength stands at 441 ppi.
The OnePlus One handset comes with a magnesium exterior. In addition, the device's back panel is alterable with a choice of bamboo, kevlar and denim. Being the plastic-variant of the HTC One M8, the HTC One E8 is made of polycarbonate material. The HTC One M8's brushed metallic unibody is replaced with plastic chassis in the One E8. Thus, the phone's weight is reduced from 160 g (of HTC One M8) to only 145 g.
The thickness and the weight of HTC One E8 are 0.39-inch and 145 g respectively, whereas the OnePlus One is 0.35-inch thick and weighs 162 g.
Hardware, Software and Memory
Interestingly, both the handsets are powered by the same quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz. While the HTC One E8 comes equipped with 2 GB of RAM, the OnePlus One houses a solid 3 GB of RAM.
OnePlus One runs on the unique combination of Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with CyanogenMod 11S UI, while the HTC One E8 runs on Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with HTC Sense 6 UI on top of it. When it comes to memory, the OnePlus One provides 16 GB and 64 GB of internal storage with no microSD card support. The HTC One E8, meanwhile, comes with 16 GB of internal storage and microSD card slot for expansion up to 128 GB.
Camera and Battery
Both the phones house the same 13 MP rear-facing camera unit and a 5 MP front-facing shooter. However, the OnePlus handset comes with dual-LED flash, while the HTC handset comes with LED flash support. Furthermore, the HTC One E8 houses a Li-Ion 2600 mAh battery unit, whereas the OnePlus One comes with a much-powerful Li-Ion 3100 mAh battery unit. Both the batteries are not user-replaceable.
1. Both the phones come equipped with Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot, LTE and NFC support. However, the difference comes in the form of Bluetooth version. The OnePlus One goes one step further and supports Bluetooth v4.1, whereas the HTC One E8 supports the standard Bluetooth v4.0.
2. The OnePlus One comes in silk white and sandstone black, whereas the HTC One E8 comes in white, red, grey and black hues.
3. Interested readers can check out Bamboo StyleSwap Cover specific to OnePlus One handset that comes for US$49.
4. While the OnePlus One supports micro-sim, the HTC One E8 supports nano-sim. Furthermore, the One E8 comes as a dual-sim variant, while the OnePlus One doesn't.
5. Both the phones do not feature dust/water proof exteriors.
1. HTC One M8 Survives Unintentional Torture Test Under Salt Water for 6 Weeks Like a Pro - [Read]
2. Upcoming HTC One M8 Max (aka M8 Prime) Phablet with Snapdragon 805 Processor to Compete with Galaxy Note 4 [Watch Video] - [Read]
3. iPhone 6 on Release Date Will Feature 2.0 GHz A8 chip, Fine-Tuned Touch ID, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, No Sapphire Display - [Read]