The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards is happening at the Barclays Center in New York City on Aug 25, 2013. Marking its 30th anniversary, members of the awards committee see it fit to heat things up at the award’s night like never before!
The MTV VMA 2013 will be aired on MTV and simulcast at Much with Claire Boucher, also known as Grimes and Rachel Antonoff as the event’s red carpet hosts.
With Lady Gaga to kick of the night’s event and Kanye West’s return, expect more exciting and highly anticipated moments at this year’s MTV VMA. Hosts Grimes and Rachel couldn’t be more excited to greet guests and find out who and what they wear and what they will do on the show.
"I am hard pressed to leave my studio at such a creative time of year, but deep in my heart I must know if Macklemore went to the thrift shop for his red carpet look,” Grimes said, according to MTV News.
She also couldn’t wait to be holding the mike with Rachel Antonoff who will be co-hosting with her MTV Red Carpet Report.
Grimes added, “Also stoked to be joined by co host Rachel Antonoff, cuz I would be terrified to do this alone haha."
Rachel feels exactly the same way. She even teased MTV of what she would be wearing in one of Hollywood’s most exciting awards for music.
“I couldn't be more excited to be co-hosting this and so excited to be doing it with Grimes, she is the coolest! I'm thinking of wearing a long floral skirt with matching bra top but we need to secure the closure first so people don't get a big (tiny) show,” Rachel said.
Only Grimes and Rachel will you see at the MTV Red Carpet Report! as there actually no host for this year’s awards. The New York Post breaks the news in a separate report that while MTV VMA 2013 features the top A-lister in the music scene, there will be no host to grace the show.
Citing a rep from MTV, the NY Post noted that MTV this year opted to go for the road less travelled.
“For this year’s show, we’ve decided to go in a different direction than the traditional ‘host’ route — like we have done on multiple occasions throughout the years,” the MTV official said, according to the NY Post.
The official reiterated that this is not the first time MTV will go without a host as it has done three times since it began in 1984. The MTV VMA has been a success despite the absence of a host in 2004, 2007 and 2011. The focus for this year’s award, said the MTV rep are the performances by the artists and moments that will take everyone by surprise.
The MTV spokesman asserted, “Instead, we’re focusing on more musical performances and surprise comedic moments for this year’s VMAs.”
Was MTV just not impressed with Kevin Hart’s performance last year at the Staples Center that it decided not to get one this year? The 2012 MTV VMA raked in only 6 million viewers last year and officials hope that not having a host could be one change that will bring in higher numbers.
To ensure that things are better this year for MTV VMA, officials have been drumming up campaign to get everyone in the same channel on Sunday, Aug 25. The committee decided to take to various social media networks, including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, Vine, Tumblr, among others, to promote the upcoming event.
Eager fans found out if their idols were included in the list of nominees through a number of short clips posted on #RoadtotheVMAs.
The use of Twitter, Instagram, Vine and Facebook, and other social media has been maximised this year and which MTV officials started using for months. And the campaign has paid off. Its Instagram account has already recorded 500,000 likes, while Twitter has a staggering impressions at 48.5 million; Facebook, 40 million likes and Tumblr, one million.
If these numbers speak at the event, the 30th celebration of the MTV VMA 2013 could be heralded as one of the most successful, ever.
UPDATE: 2013 MTV Video Music Awards: A Look Back at Miley Cyrus Raunchy Performances at VMAs and other Awards Shows Through the Years [MORE PHOTOS/VIDEOS] Full article here. UPDATE: SEE MORE! 2013 MTV Video Music Awards: Top 6 Must-See VMAs Moments You Didn’t See on TV [PHOTOS] Full article here.
Here’s recap of the Top Things you Need to Know for 2013 MTV Vide Music Awards:
1. The what-when-where of the MTV VMA 2013 The 2013 MTV VMA is happening on Aug 25, Sunday. For the first time in four years, this year’s music awards will be held at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. It airs on MTV, 9 pm EST.
The last time MTV VMA was at the Big Apple was in 2009, the year of the infamous Kanye West-Taylor Swift mic-grabbing incident. Will there be another Kanye West outburst?
2. Who is hosting 2013 MTV VMA ? Sorry, Kevin Hart, but officials think it is best to go without a host this year. But Claire Boucher, known as Grimes, and Rachel Antonoff are hosting the MTV Red Carpet Report!
3. Who’s opening the show? Lady Gaga has been confirmed to kick off the evening with her performance of new single, Applause. Her attendance at MTV VMA has even heated up to nth degree after her infamous Twitter feud with Perez Hilton last week, with the notorious blogger calling to boycott the Born This Way singer.
4. Top things to expect at the 2013 MTV VMA a. Lady Gaga is seated next to Katy Perry, that’s confirmed. b. NSync is rumoured to get reunited at the awards night and is said to be performing with hit singer and actor, Justin Timberlake. c. Justin Timberlake to receive MTV’s Vanguard award, already won by Madonna (1986), Michael Jackson (1988, named 1991), and Britney Spears (2011). d. Exclusive footage of upcoming hit film, Divergent, to be shown for the first time at MTV VMA 2013 e. Miley Cyrus promises for another jaw-dropping performance of her hit song We Can’t Stop. f. One Direction may win big at the awards in the Best Summer Song category for its Best Song Ever single, as the group goes head to head with Miley Cyrus's We Can’t Stop. g. Is Britney Spears really receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award? Isn’t she too young? Or is it about time?
5. Who are the top performers? Lady Gaga is sure to perform her new single Applause and Katy Perry's Roar. Nothing can stop Miley Cyrus from shocking your evening with her We Can’t Stop hit single. Will Demi Lovato perform her VEVO-certified Heart Attack now with over one million views.
6. Who are nominated? One Direction, Justin Timberlake, Robert Thicke (Blurred Lines), Miley Cyrus (We Can’t Stop” are among the top artists with multiple nominations. Check out the complete list of nominees here.
And for those who want to join the conversation and ask questions, you may use hashtag #AskVMA on Twitter, Vine, and Instagram and let’s hope that MTV staff reporters who will give you blow by blow account of what’s happening may be able to read them for your idols. Staff reporters, MTV News reporters Sway Calloway, Christina Garibaldi, and James Montgomery are all set to interview the guests, which you may not want to miss. Performances by Austin Mahone and Ariana Grande outside Barclays will tease you before the show begins.
Fans can still vote until the 2013 MTV VMA begins Sunday. If you don’t want to miss every second of the event and not miss out on shocking moments that could top Kanye-Taylor brouhaha, you may tune in through this link.
This year's MTV also promises more access for everyone in their own hands so as not to miss any second of the music and action streaming live in your phones, iPads, laptops and other electronic devices. The code to get live streaming on your devices: http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:943692/cp~vid%3D943692%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A943692
To tease you a bit more of the much-anticipated 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, scroll down and take a look back at Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV VMA, the top shocking moments at the MTV VMA of all time.
Don’t MISS! You Might Also Like to READ: Robsten Romance: Robert Pattinson Hopes to Be Defined by Music not Twilight or Kristen Stewart? [PHOTOS/VIDEO] Full article here. UPDATE: Proof Kristen Stewart’s Ex, Robert Pattinson, Never Dated Riley Keough in PHOTO, Model Breaks Silence Denying Robsten Affair [SEE PHOTOS] Full article here. NEW DETAILS! Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Nab Best Kiss, Choice Movie Liplock at TCA 2013; Here's Why No Announcement was Made [PHOTOS] Full article here.