As the Mayan Calendar approaches its end on Friday, December 21, it cannot be helped to ask the question: Where will you be on this most controversial date in history?
People can travel, party, sleep, contemplate or even welcome the doomsday prophecy but the Mayan civilization will definitely observe and celebrate this day all over the Mayan region as well as other sacred places all over the world. Most scientists believe that the Maya were just having fun with numbers, planet and language when they noted the date with no intention of connecting it to the doomsday prophecy.
Here are some places that people can to go and celebrate with the Mayan calendar's end on December 21.
1. All over the Mayan region from southern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and some areas in Honduras and El Salvador.
2. Caana. It is expected that the highest temple structure at the Caracol archaeological site will acknowledge the Mayan calendar's cycle end. One of the largest spread of tropical forest in Central America.
3. Sacred locations worldwide including Colorado.
4. At the Double Rainbow Ranch near Longmont on Thursday. The overnight "solstice sanctuary sonic retreat" will start at 4 p.m. with the actual solstice time at 4:12 a.m. Mountain Standard Time on Friday. Doublerainbowranch.com indicated for celebrants to bring $12 donation, sleeping bag and a potluck breakfast. Guatemalan priestess Aum Rak will conduct a sunset ceremony followed with a series of activities such as yoga, meditation, chanting, kirtan singing and trance dancing.
5. A Mayan Millennial Masquerade Ball will be held on Friday from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. at the Avalon Ballroom in Boulder. Coloradosolstice.com web site indicated a day pass worth $20 will the full event price is $42.50. The event will begin with a Mayan fire ritual followed with the film screening of "2012: The Beginning" as well as other activities and appearances with the use of one really huge drum. The night celebration continues with performances from high-energy tribal-fusion local music groups such as Kan'nal, Tierro, Lunar Fire, The Sea Stars, Orpheus and Buddha Bomb.