It has become a necessity to cultivate a professional online image in today's job market. LinkedIn, a social networking Web site allows users to create personal profile which showcases qualifications for certain types of jobs. Because of this, job seekers should make their profiles visible and active.
Check these tips to make your profile stand out to a browsing recruiter:
1. Upload your recent photo. It is one of the three key areas that potential employers look In the first few seconds along with your headline and professional summary. Use a photo that will help you look professional and competent.
2. Place a job title. Describe the nature of your work in the "job title" section of your profile, along with a short description of what you exactly do. For eaxample, write freelance writer who drives traffic to a Web site using keyword optimization.
3. Provide client testimonials. Showcase testimonials from people you have worked with on your LinkedIn profile to show that you have a history of client satisfaction.
4. Create a concise summary. You can use the summary section to reiterate your accomplishments and when you did it, how you get things done, and why you are passionate about the industry.
5. Profile applications. Take advantage of the wide range of applications available in the LinkedIn Application Directory that you can add to beef up your profiles. Apps like SlideShare to upload slideshows, Box.net to share portfolio with potential recruiters and Amazon Reading List app to highlight industry-related books that you have read.
6. Join groups. Be a member of several groups and link yourself with other people to target the audience you want and participate in group's discussion to be discovered by a recruiter.
7. Use popular keyword phrases. Add keywords in your profile to build on Web traffic in your account to make it more searchable.