Here is a look at all the speculation and rumors surrounding Apple's upcoming Mini tablet, the iPad Mini 3. Firstly, there is a very good chance that iPad Mini 3 could come with a different official name. It is worth noting that, the iPad Mini 2 is officially called as 'iPad Mini with Retina Display'; going by this trend, the Mini 3's name could very well be different.
1. According to the initial leaks (via Macworld), the tablet that looks like an iPad Mini had a Touch ID on the Home button; the fingerprint scanning home button which Apple introduced with their iPhone 5S never made it to iPads (as yet).
In order to view the leaked iPad Mini 3's image - Click here.
2. It is worth noting that, the iPad Mini 2 (with Retina display) comes with a 5MP rear facing iSight camera, and a 1.2MP front facing camera. Going by this trend and Ming-Chi Kuo's (a KGI Analyst) predictions, the iPad Mini 3 will house an 8MP iSight camera unit.
3. There is a good possibility that the iPad Mini 3 could be powered by a new 64 bit SoC. The logical name of the processor/chipset would be the A8 processor. The new processor will provide better performance, improved graphical rendering and a better energy usage mechanism which in turn saves battery life.
4. iPad Mini 3 will feature the same 7.9 inches display with a 2,048 x 1,536 pixels resolution that the iPad Mini 2 featured.
5. The iPad Mini 2 is available in 16/32/64/128GB storage options with no microSD card support for further expansion and this trend will continue with the iPad Mini 3.
Going by the kind of changes that is anticipated out of this upcoming Mini device, the iPad Mini 3 will only bring-in minor changes and upgrades.
According to AppleInsider, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that the upcoming iPad Mini could be launched in the third quarter of 2014. But MacWorld says, the iPad Mini 3 could be launched in October and could hit the shops sometime in November targeting Christmas sales.
The rumored iPad Mini 3 is expected to be priced at around $399 for the basic model, much like the predecessor. The official announcement of the upcoming Mini device, one could see that the price of Mini 2 go down further. It is worth noting that, adding a cellular option to the iPad Mini costs US$130/AU$150 to the base price.