"Tell your father I'm here, and tell him the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts," these chilling words were made by Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne. The highly anticipated Season 4 of HBO's hit fantasy series "Game of Thrones" will debut Oberyn Martell as the famous Red Viper.
Played by Chilean actor Pedro Pascall, Prince Oberyn Martell is another colorful character in George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire and Ice" book. Here are the five things you need to know about the Red Viper.
1. Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne. Located in the south of Westeros, Dorne is the city of wine and women and the only one of the Seven Kingdoms to retain its independence after the invasion of Aegon the Conqueror. Ruled from the castle of Sunspear by House Martell, Dorne is known for its highly trained army and Oberyn Martell is hailed as one of the most skilled soldier.
2. The Red Viper. Known for his skill in combat, Oberyn Martell got his Red Viper name when he killed a challenger by the use of a poison-tipped blade. In the land of Westeros, women are famous of using poison as a weapon but Oberyn used this tactic to his advantage.
3. Vengeance. There is only one reason why the Red Viper is in King's Landing and that is to seek vengeance for the murder of his nephew, niece and sister. The red Viper was sent to King's Landing by his brother Doran Martell to avenge Elia Martell who was murdered by Ser Gregor Clegane.
4. Bastard children. A ladies man, Prince Oberyn Martell fathered 8 bastard daughters and in Dorne his children are referred to as the Sand Snakes. Just like the bastards are called Snow in Winterfell, the bastards in Dorne are called Sand. Oberyn's four youngest bastards are from his latest paramour, Ellaria Sand.
5. Ellaria Sand. Portrayed by English actress Indira Varma, Ellaria Sand is the bastard daughter of Lorn Harmen Uller, the Lord of Hellholt. Oberyn's daughter with Ellaria are named Obella, Dorea, Elia, and Loreza Sand. She is bisexual due to Dorne's relaxed attitude towards sexuality.