Samsung Galaxy S5 is expected to attend Mobile World Congress 2014 and possibly meet one of its competitors - the Sony Sirius. But can they beat iPhone 5S together with their latest features and specs?
Display and Resolution
The Galaxy S5 features 5.25 inches of screen and qHD 2,560 x 1,440 display resolution compared to Galaxy S4. The iPhone 5S 4.0-inch display and 640 x 1,136 resolution which looks tiny against the Galaxy S5 and can only be matched by Sony's upcoming Sirius smartphone. It is unknown if HTC can match such as high resolution display using its M8 handset.
Processor and Memory
Unlike theh Galaxy S4, the Galaxy S5 sports an upgraded Exynos 6 octa-core processor with 64-bit support like the iPhone 5S and consumes 50 per cent less power than the previous version which also generates less amount of heat. Moreover, a 3 GB of RAM chipset will support the smartphone to perform seamless multitasking by maximising the 64-bit processor.
Camera and Imaging
Samsung upgraded the Galaxy S5's camera to 16 MP which is expected to feature several new camera modes and shoot images with great detail. However, the iPhone 5S boasts dual-LED flash camera, while Sony Sirius will use 20.7 MP Sony G lens optics with Optical Image Stabilisation. Samsung didn't confirm yet if the Galaxy S5 has the module.
The Galaxy S5 and Xperia Sirius will use Android 4.4 KitKat version to match the iPhone 5S's iOS 7, but all of their initial versions have been reported to carry major issues in battery performance and camera app. But unlike Apple which awaits March to push iOS 7.1 version, Google already sent out Android 4.4.2 to fix those major bugs.
1. User Interface The Galaxy S5 is rumoured to feature the brand new magazine-style TouchWiz, while the Xperia Sirius will exclusively get the latest Android 4.4-based Xperia home UI. iOS changed drastically from sophisticated icons and themes to simple yet Windows Phone-like impression that could affect buyers' point of view.
2. Recharging Unlike the iPhone 5S, Samsung will add Rapid Charging and new battery type on the Galaxy S5, while Sony planned Magnetic Wireless Resonance on Xperia Sirius which could help users to maximise battery performance.
3. Security Feature Fingerprint Sensor is now enabled on the Galaxy S5 but goes for a different approach than the iPhone 5S. Instead of on the home button, Samsung added the new feature on the display screen for better access and convenience.
4. Camera Modes Right now, Sony seems have the edge with camera modes on the Xperia Sirius. It features 4K video recording, TimeShift video, Background Defocus, AR effect, Creative Effect, Info-Eye and two more modes.
5. Proofing The iPhone 5S features Gorilla Glass and anti-fingerprint protection, while the Xperia Sirius features dust and water resistances, and shatter-proof screen. The Galaxy S5 has one variant which is made of metal that greatly improves resilience than its plastic counterpart. Expect new videos of crashing and smashing on Galaxy S5 vs. iPhone 5S this year.
5.25" 2,560 x 1,440
5.25" 2,560 x 1,440
4.0 640 x 1,136
Exynos 6 octa 64-bit/Snapdragon 805 quad-core
Snapdragon 800 quad-core
Cyclone dual-core 64-bit