The Australian Government, through the office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, advises against travelling to Nigeria due to high threat of terrorist attacks and Ebola outbreak.
Australians are highly advised against travelling to Nigeria due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, kidnapping, unstable security situation and violent civil unrest.
There had been confirmed reports of bombings in some parts of Nigeria, including sites where international sporting events, festivals, and holidays are being held. Bombings also happen during significant dates and anniversaries. Places of worships were targeted during the Christmas and Easter periods in recent years.
Militants are still threatening to conduct attacks against government facilities and personnel, hotels, school, media offices, markets and public terminals.
"We strongly advise you not to travel to Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Yobe and Adamawa states because of the ongoing very high threat of terrorist attack, very high threat of kidnapping, the volatile security situation, including ongoing inter-communal tensions, and frequent violent attacks on public places. If you are in these states you should leave immediately," DFAT said.
The riverine areas of Bayelsa, Delta, Rivers Akwa Ibom and Cross River states in south-eastern Nigeria are very dangerous places to visit.
DFAT underlined that the ability of the Australian Government to provide consular services to Australians in Nigeria are very limited.
Aside from terrorists attack, a serious outbreak of Ebola virus is present in nearby regions of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Nigerian health officials also confirmed deaths due to Ebola in Lagos.
On August 8, Nigeria declared a national state of emergency as a bold move to combat the spreading of deadly Ebola virus.
The World Health Organisation had also declared a public health emergency of international concern due to the spread of wild poliovirus in Nigeria.
A report from BBC said that Boko Haram is unrelented in its fight to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria.
Reporting from Nigeria, Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar said that 100 women are currently protesting against having their husbands being deployed to fight against Boko Haram.
A wife, who cannot be named, told Abubakar that when their husbands were deployed to fight Boko Haram, its terrifying members burned their homes and killed children the next day.
"Now [the army] want to send our husbands to Gwoza and we said 'no'. Our husbands have been fighting Boko Haram for six years now. If they get killed or injured, they [the army] will not take care of us," the woman told the BBC.