The agricultural ministry of Quebec confirmed that it became another province in Canada on Sunday, Feb 23, to record the first case of porcine epidemic diarrhoea (PED).
In the United States, the lethal virus has already been responsible in killing millions of piglets; the Montreal Gazette reported. PED had first been found in China and then it arrived in Canada and the U.S. Similar cases of PED were already recorded in other Canadian provinces like Manitoba, Prince Edward Island and Ontario which became the first province to record a PED case in January 2014. However, this is the first time such a case has been recorded in Quebec.
The first PED case in Quebec was recorded in a Montérégie region south of Montreal farm. The farm has presently been under quarantine by the agricultural ministry. This is going to help stop the virus from being spread outside the farm. In addition to that, officials have emphasised that humans have no threat of being infected from PED as it is a unique virus that affect pigs only. The digestive system of pigs gets severely affected by such virus. On the other hand, there is no known remedy for PED at the moment.
The agricultural ministry is constantly vigilant as it has been keeping a strict eye on pork products in the province. They reportedly have a ready action plan which they are working on along with the pork industry partners from the province. Chief veterinarian Dr Michel Major said that authorities needed to remain vigilant and make sure that biosecurity measures are applied strictly by slaughterhouses, transporters, producers, visitors as well as goods and service providers.
The Canadian Swine Health Board earlier said that the disease had fewer possibilities to spread in Canada as there were tighter controls in the country after there had been an outbreak in the U.S. The farming practices have been more vigilant of late, it said.
Any pork producer that may think there is a PED case is advised to contact the veterinarian at the earliest. One can also call at 1-866-363-2433.