Canadian Employee Fatally Stabs Superiors for Firing Him, Two Suffer 'Life-Threatening' Injuries

By @snksounak on
A Man Looks Outside from a Building in a Office Complex Where Multiple Stabbings have Occurred in Toronto
A man looks outside from a building in a office complex where multiple stabbings have occurred in Toronto, April 9, 2014. Toronto police took a man into custody on Wednesday and four people were sent to hospital, two of them with life-threatening injuries, after a stabbing at an office building in the city's north end, a police spokesman said. REUTERS

A man accused of stabbing four office employees in Canada has been identified by police. The incident took place in an office building situated in North Toronto. The accused was reportedly about to get fired from his job when he stabbed the employees.

Ceridian Canada employee Chuang "Ray" Li faces four counts of aggravated assault, four counts of assault with a weapon and three counts of attempted murder. The 47-year-old man attacked his colleagues with a knife. It was around 9:30 in the morning when police were called to the office, CTV News reported.

A 32-year-old woman and a man in his 30s were taken to a hospital, as they suffered fatal injuries which might take their life. They are still in critical condition while there were two more men who got injured during the attack. One of those two has been released from the hospital and the other was kept under observation for the entire night, according to police reports.

Det. Dan Darnbrough said that the two people whom Li critically injured were his superiors. They were about to fire him from his job when Li's attack left them with injuries. The other two who were injured during the attack wanted to subdue Li. The company issued a statement where it mentioned Li as a "former employee."

Ceridian Canada CEOs Dave Mackay and David Ossip said in the statement that their "thoughts and prayers" were with the victims as well as their families. They called it a "very difficult time." They said that specific information of the victims could not be disclosed further to respect the privacy of the individual families. They informed that each of the four employees was treated by experts.

According to Toronto EMS, as cited by Toronto Sun, the victims were rushed to Sunnybrook hospital. The fifth floor of the building was locked down by police while office employees were canvassed. Li is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday, April 10.

Join the Discussion