Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius stunned the world yesterday when he was charged with murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
What does the world really know about the26-year-old Olympian who has impressed the world with his athleticism? Called as "The Blade Runner," Oscar defied odds and proved that he can be an equally good athlete despite his condition. He has proved that he is a great sprinter but only little is known about his life away from the field.
Meanwhile, Oscar's 30-year-old girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp is considered a "rising model" in South Africa. Her uncle Mike Steekamp recently expressed their anguish for the model death. He said that the whole family was in shock adding that Reeva's future was cut short.
While evidences are still being gathered and the crime still being solved, let's get to know more about the two crime key players that shook the world.
- Oscar Pistorius was born with a congenital condition. His legs were amputated when he was just 11-month-old. Over the years, he wore carbon fiber prosthetics blades which earned him the alias "Blade Runner."
- Pistorius inspired a lot of people when he became the first double amputee to ever compete in the 2012 Olympics. Apart from the prestigious recognition, he also won two gold medals and one silver at the Paralympics.
- Reeva Steenkamp was born in Cape Town and was scouted by a modeling agency six years ago. She has modeled for cosmetics brand Avon and men's magazine FHM. But that's only few of her achievements. Not a lot of people know that she is also a law graduate that speaks publicly about violence against women.
- Initial reports claim that the murder incident may have been a surprise Valentine's gone wrong. Pistorius said that what happened was a "horrible accident." He claims that he mistook his girlfriend as a burglar when she went to his house at the middle of the night.
- Oscar is now being called a playboy who loves guns. He was adored by the public but lived a private life said to be filled with guns, fast cars and beautiful women.