Melbourne CBD prime retail space sold for $12 million
By Joyce R. | December 21, 2010 7:29 PM EST
A landmark in the city’s central business district, the former McGill’s book store, was sold in a competitive auction for $12.04 million.
Five bidders were competing for the iconic CBD building, which was offered for sale through Sebastian Drapac and Mark Wizel of CB Richard Ellis. It was sold with a price of $25,242 per square meter. The two level retail building is located nearby Bourke Street Mall, and opposite Melbourne’s
Drapac said there has been strong enquiry from both local and offshore investors, with multiple offers to acquire the building pre-auction. The eventual buyer was a local private investor, keen to gain a foothold in the Melbourne CBD retail market.
“The deal highlights the continued investor demand for properties in the CBD retail core despite some of the recent negative press in relation to rising interest rates and retail spending,” Drapac said.
“We are seeing continued confidence from retailers and landlords – particularly in prime locations such as Bourke Street Mall – as highlighted by the major refurbishments of Myer and David Jones.” CBRE’s Mark Wizel said the sale of 193 Elizabeth Street was the latest in a series of prime CBD retail investment deals, following the earlier sales of 389 Swanston Street and Bradman’s building at 270-272 Bourke Street.
“There is a distinct demand/supply imbalance for properties of this caliber,” Wizel said. “The sale of 193 Elizabeth Street presented a rare opportunity to acquire a centrally located, freestanding investment with a significant percentage of the income underwritten by long leases to well performing national food and beverage tenants.”
More from IBT Real Estate:
Subscribe to newsletter delivered to your inbox twice weekly
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments