Melbourne CBD prime retail space sold for $12 million
By Joyce R. | December 21, 2010 7:29 PM EST
A landmark in the city’s central business district, the former McGill’s book store, was sold in a competitive auction for $12.04 million.
Five bidders were competing for the iconic CBD building, which was offered for sale through Sebastian Drapac and Mark Wizel of CB Richard Ellis. It was sold with a price of $25,242 per square meter. The two level retail building is located nearby Bourke Street Mall, and opposite Melbourne’s
Drapac said there has been strong enquiry from both local and offshore investors, with multiple offers to acquire the building pre-auction. The eventual buyer was a local private investor, keen to gain a foothold in the Melbourne CBD retail market.
“The deal highlights the continued investor demand for properties in the CBD retail core despite some of the recent negative press in relation to rising interest rates and retail spending,” Drapac said.
“We are seeing continued confidence from retailers and landlords – particularly in prime locations such as Bourke Street Mall – as highlighted by the major refurbishments of Myer and David Jones.” CBRE’s Mark Wizel said the sale of 193 Elizabeth Street was the latest in a series of prime CBD retail investment deals, following the earlier sales of 389 Swanston Street and Bradman’s building at 270-272 Bourke Street.
“There is a distinct demand/supply imbalance for properties of this caliber,” Wizel said. “The sale of 193 Elizabeth Street presented a rare opportunity to acquire a centrally located, freestanding investment with a significant percentage of the income underwritten by long leases to well performing national food and beverage tenants.”
More from IBT Real Estate:
Subscribe to newsletter delivered to your inbox twice weekly
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Analyst: Slowdown in Home Prices is Good, the Final Stage to Economic Recovery
- Film Buff and Real Estate Developer Buys Third Movie House in Greenwich Village
- 3 Basic Requirements to Start Converting Your House into a Smart Home
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- U.S. Housing Starts Data in July Turns Around Lackluster Real Estate Growth
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans