Dubai CDS jump to highest since March; Nakheel debt falls
February 16, 2010 5:23 AM EST
The cost of insuring five-year Dubai debt against default jumped to its highest level since March on Monday as concerns intensified over the debt restructuring of state-owned conglomerate Dubai World.
Nervousness over the fate of Dubai World debt grew after Dow Jones reported it is mulling a two-part deal, including one that may repay lenders 60 percent over seven years. Dubai denied the report on Sunday.
Investors, already spooked by a lack of information on the company's plans to repay the debt, reacted with dismay to the reported proposal.
The five-year CDS rose as high as 651 basis points, above the high reached after the Dubai government announced a standstill on debt held by Dubai World in November.
Dubai World [DBWLD.UL] is in talks with banks on the debt delay -- about $22 billion linked to its main propery units Nakheel and Limitless World -- but has yet to present a formal proposal.
It staved off default on a $4.1 billion Islamic bond linked to Nakheel, after a last minute bailout from Abu Dhabi in December.
The price of Nakheel's Islamic bond maturing in January 2011
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6