Dubai CDS jump to highest since March; Nakheel debt falls
February 16, 2010 5:23 AM EST
The cost of insuring five-year Dubai debt against default jumped to its highest level since March on Monday as concerns intensified over the debt restructuring of state-owned conglomerate Dubai World.
Nervousness over the fate of Dubai World debt grew after Dow Jones reported it is mulling a two-part deal, including one that may repay lenders 60 percent over seven years. Dubai denied the report on Sunday.
Investors, already spooked by a lack of information on the company's plans to repay the debt, reacted with dismay to the reported proposal.
The five-year CDS rose as high as 651 basis points, above the high reached after the Dubai government announced a standstill on debt held by Dubai World in November.
Dubai World [DBWLD.UL] is in talks with banks on the debt delay -- about $22 billion linked to its main propery units Nakheel and Limitless World -- but has yet to present a formal proposal.
It staved off default on a $4.1 billion Islamic bond linked to Nakheel, after a last minute bailout from Abu Dhabi in December.
The price of Nakheel's Islamic bond maturing in January 2011
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles