Dubai CDS jump to highest since March; Nakheel debt falls
February 16, 2010 5:23 AM EST
The cost of insuring five-year Dubai debt against default jumped to its highest level since March on Monday as concerns intensified over the debt restructuring of state-owned conglomerate Dubai World.
Nervousness over the fate of Dubai World debt grew after Dow Jones reported it is mulling a two-part deal, including one that may repay lenders 60 percent over seven years. Dubai denied the report on Sunday.
Investors, already spooked by a lack of information on the company's plans to repay the debt, reacted with dismay to the reported proposal.
The five-year CDS rose as high as 651 basis points, above the high reached after the Dubai government announced a standstill on debt held by Dubai World in November.
Dubai World [DBWLD.UL] is in talks with banks on the debt delay -- about $22 billion linked to its main propery units Nakheel and Limitless World -- but has yet to present a formal proposal.
It staved off default on a $4.1 billion Islamic bond linked to Nakheel, after a last minute bailout from Abu Dhabi in December.
The price of Nakheel's Islamic bond maturing in January 2011
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up