Copper Strike calls Kagara takeover bid as highly opportunistic
By Ricky Roxas | October 13, 2010 8:02 PM EST
Base metal miner Copper Strike Ltd (ASX: CSE) advised its shareholders on Wednesday to hold off any action on the $14.3 million takeover proposal pushed forward by Kagara Ltd (ASX: KZL), calling the offer as highly opportunistic.
Kagara made known yesterday its intents to acquire the base and precious metal mining firm but Copper Strike countered on the next day that suitor's bid was inadequate as it added that following the initial review of its directors, "the quantum and timing of the offer is highly opportunistic."
In its statement, Copper Strike said that it is appropriate for now that company shareholders defer any action on the matter and seriously asses the company directors' decision of disallowing Kagara from gaining ownership in the company in the absence of an appropriate offer price.
The Copper Strike advisory also reminded the shareholders that once they have received the formal offer from Kagara, the company directors will then proceed to "further advice to shareholders including their formal recommendation."
Analysts said that Kagara is aiming to acquire Copper Strike to further buttress its existing asset base in Queensland, with the suitor company confirming that a successful takeover would result to the heightened development of the target's Einasleigh copper deposit and other assets.
The possible merger, added the analysts, would provide for Karara steady and rich reservoir of raw ore for processing on the zinc producer's Mt Garnet and Thalanga multi-metal treatment plants in Queensland.
As of 1418 AEDT on Wednesday, Copper Strike shares were trading up by two or 21.05 percent to 11.5 cents while Kagara shares also improved a bit by half a cent to 69.5 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate