Cleveland gets ex-Rio Tinto boss
By Sharon O. | September 14, 2010 9:44 PM EST
Australian gold company Cleveland Mining today announced it has secured mining heavy-weight Donald Bailey as a non-executive director.
Mr Bailey was Rio Tinto's Deputy Mining Director, a role in which he was responsible for the Company's operations in South America, southern Africa and Continental Europe, a statement from Cleveland Mining said.
Mr Bailey joins two former Fortescue Metals Group executives on the Board: David Mendelawitz, Fortescue's former Head of Business Improvement, who takes the mantle of CEO, and Jim Williams, FMG's former Head of Mining and now a Non-executive Director with Cleveland.
Mr Mendelawitz said that few people in the mining industry have the credentials of Don Bailey.
"For half a century, Mr Bailey has been a respected figure in both mining pits and boardrooms across the world. He brings an encyclopaedic understanding of the technical, financing and corporate aspects of mining projects to Cleveland," he said.
"Mr Bailey knows how successful gold mines are built in Brazil after leading the Morro do Oro gold project in Minas Gerais state, the state neighbouring Cleveland's operations in Goiás."
"Since Cleveland Mining was founded fourteen months ago, the Company has acquired five mining projects in the Crixás goldfields of central Brazil. We have built an excellent team and a large scale drilling program is underway."
In August, Cleveland Mining Limited said it plans to list on the Australian Stock Exchange.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares