Cleveland gets ex-Rio Tinto boss
By Sharon O. | September 14, 2010 9:44 PM EST
Australian gold company Cleveland Mining today announced it has secured mining heavy-weight Donald Bailey as a non-executive director.
Mr Bailey was Rio Tinto's Deputy Mining Director, a role in which he was responsible for the Company's operations in South America, southern Africa and Continental Europe, a statement from Cleveland Mining said.
Mr Bailey joins two former Fortescue Metals Group executives on the Board: David Mendelawitz, Fortescue's former Head of Business Improvement, who takes the mantle of CEO, and Jim Williams, FMG's former Head of Mining and now a Non-executive Director with Cleveland.
Mr Mendelawitz said that few people in the mining industry have the credentials of Don Bailey.
"For half a century, Mr Bailey has been a respected figure in both mining pits and boardrooms across the world. He brings an encyclopaedic understanding of the technical, financing and corporate aspects of mining projects to Cleveland," he said.
"Mr Bailey knows how successful gold mines are built in Brazil after leading the Morro do Oro gold project in Minas Gerais state, the state neighbouring Cleveland's operations in Goiás."
"Since Cleveland Mining was founded fourteen months ago, the Company has acquired five mining projects in the Crixás goldfields of central Brazil. We have built an excellent team and a large scale drilling program is underway."
In August, Cleveland Mining Limited said it plans to list on the Australian Stock Exchange.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]