Floyd Mayweather Jr. Charged By Former Fiancée for Assault, Battery
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 5, 2014 6:26 PM EST
It is just natural for a boxer's name to prominently come up in the news leading up to big fight. It is just strange for Floyd Mayweather Jr. to be linked to numerous cases involving abuse of women leading up to the big fight next week.
REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun
WBC/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. speaks to reporters during a media day at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas, Nevada September 2, 2014. Mayweather will face Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a rematch at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on September 13, 2014. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus
Shantel Jackson, former flame of Money Mayweather filed a civil suit against the pound for pound king Thursday at the Los Angeles County Superior Court claiming assault, battery, false imprisonment, and invasion of privacy in an 18-month span from 2012 until 2014. She also alleged that she was also threatened at gunpoint by her former lover.
"It is with a heavy heart that I finally realized that the only way to set the record straight, and to achieve justice for what he has done to me, is through the filing of this lawsuit," Jackson said during a press conference held after filing the case.
Some of the details of Jackson's claims include Mayweather allegedly twisting her arm and choking her in a confrontation in August 2012, just days after being released from prison. Mayweather and Jackson were quareling and the boxer was apparently agitated while skimming through her phone. The boxer was just released from incarceration stemming from a domestic violence conviction of Josie Harris, the mother of three of Mayweather's four offspring.
The pair split in April 2013 as relayed by Jackson but on that same month she went back to the Las Vegas home of Money Mayweather after the boxer wooed her yet again. However, not soon after, Jackson also alleges that they got into another argument and that time Mayweather again physically harmed her, took her jewellry at gunpoint and even threatened to shoot her foot. She was not also allowed to leave home without one of the boxer's bodyguards accompanying her.
Mayweather and his camp have been mum on the allegations. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe did not give any comments when questioned by reporters. The timing of the filing of the case is sure to be questioned by the defence lawyers of the best boxer in the world as he is scheduled to face Marcos Maidana on Sept. 13. This would give much coverage to the charges of Jackson given as it will be simultaneously be covered side by side with the upcoming match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop