Sharapova, Murray, Williams, Ivanovic, And Bouchard Confirmed To Take Part In The IPTL Event In Manila
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 5, 2014 2:15 PM EST
The International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) will bring the tennis greats to Manila, Philippines. Among those who have confirmed their participation in the Manila leg of the inaugural IPTL event, which will run from Nov. 28 to Dec. 13, are Maria Sharapova, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, and Eugenie Bouchard.
Maria Sharapova of Russia celebrates after winning her women's singles final match against Simona Halep of Romania at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 7, 2014.
Sharapova leads the team Manila Mavericks, alongside Andy Murray, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Carlos Moya, Daniel Nestor, Kirsten Flipkens, and Treat Huey. The Mavericks will play against three other teams, namely, U.A.E. Royals, Indian Aces, and Singapore Lions. The opening leg will be held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena from Nov. 28 to Nov. 30.
Other tennis stars who will be participating in Manila include Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Eugenie Bouchard, Daniela Hantuchova, Sanja Mirza, Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet, Lleyton Hewitt, Goran Ivanisevic, Patrick Rafter, Gael Monfils, and Fabrice Santoro, according to a statement posted on the the venue's official website.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 31, 2014
IPTL's Chief Operating Officer Eric Gottschalk has said that all the teams will be in Manila but not every player will come to play. "Nadal and Djokovic play for the league but will not travel to Manila, they will only play in Dubai and India," Gottschalk said.
OTHER IPTL TEAMS
U.A.E. Falcons - Novak Djokovic, Richard Gasquet, Nenad Zimonjic, Janko Tipsarevic, Goran Ivanisevic, Malek Jaziri, Caroline Wozniacki, Eugenie Bouchard.
Indian Aces - Rafael Nadal, Gael Monfils, Pete Sampras, Rohan Bopanna, Fabrice Santoro, Sania Mirza, and Ana Ivanovic.
Singapore Lions - Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Nick Kyrgios, Patrick Rafter, Tomas Berdych, Bruno Soares, Serena Williams, and Daniela Hantuchova.
All the teams will play in 24 best-of-five matches in a round-robin format for men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, and mixed doubles. The teams will take turns playing against each team across the four counties, Philippines, India, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), and Singapore. The winner of the event will bring home $1 million dollars.
The next stop of the teams will be in Singapore from Dec. 2 to Dec. 4. Then, they will travel next to India for the 3-day event from Dec. 6 to Dec. 8. The last stop will be in the U.A.E. from Dec. 11 to Dec. 13.
Video courtesy:YouTube/IPTL-International Premier Tennis League
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate