Sharapova, Murray, Williams, Ivanovic, And Bouchard Confirmed To Take Part In The IPTL Event In Manila
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 5, 2014 2:15 PM EST
The International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) will bring the tennis greats to Manila, Philippines. Among those who have confirmed their participation in the Manila leg of the inaugural IPTL event, which will run from Nov. 28 to Dec. 13, are Maria Sharapova, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, and Eugenie Bouchard.
Maria Sharapova of Russia celebrates after winning her women's singles final match against Simona Halep of Romania at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 7, 2014.
Sharapova leads the team Manila Mavericks, alongside Andy Murray, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Carlos Moya, Daniel Nestor, Kirsten Flipkens, and Treat Huey. The Mavericks will play against three other teams, namely, U.A.E. Royals, Indian Aces, and Singapore Lions. The opening leg will be held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena from Nov. 28 to Nov. 30.
Other tennis stars who will be participating in Manila include Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Eugenie Bouchard, Daniela Hantuchova, Sanja Mirza, Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet, Lleyton Hewitt, Goran Ivanisevic, Patrick Rafter, Gael Monfils, and Fabrice Santoro, according to a statement posted on the the venue's official website.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 31, 2014
IPTL's Chief Operating Officer Eric Gottschalk has said that all the teams will be in Manila but not every player will come to play. "Nadal and Djokovic play for the league but will not travel to Manila, they will only play in Dubai and India," Gottschalk said.
OTHER IPTL TEAMS
U.A.E. Falcons - Novak Djokovic, Richard Gasquet, Nenad Zimonjic, Janko Tipsarevic, Goran Ivanisevic, Malek Jaziri, Caroline Wozniacki, Eugenie Bouchard.
Indian Aces - Rafael Nadal, Gael Monfils, Pete Sampras, Rohan Bopanna, Fabrice Santoro, Sania Mirza, and Ana Ivanovic.
Singapore Lions - Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Nick Kyrgios, Patrick Rafter, Tomas Berdych, Bruno Soares, Serena Williams, and Daniela Hantuchova.
All the teams will play in 24 best-of-five matches in a round-robin format for men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, and mixed doubles. The teams will take turns playing against each team across the four counties, Philippines, India, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), and Singapore. The winner of the event will bring home $1 million dollars.
The next stop of the teams will be in Singapore from Dec. 2 to Dec. 4. Then, they will travel next to India for the 3-day event from Dec. 6 to Dec. 8. The last stop will be in the U.A.E. from Dec. 11 to Dec. 13.
Video courtesy:YouTube/IPTL-International Premier Tennis League
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect