Sharapova, Murray, Williams, Ivanovic, And Bouchard Confirmed To Take Part In The IPTL Event In Manila
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 5, 2014 2:15 PM EST
The International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) will bring the tennis greats to Manila, Philippines. Among those who have confirmed their participation in the Manila leg of the inaugural IPTL event, which will run from Nov. 28 to Dec. 13, are Maria Sharapova, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, and Eugenie Bouchard.
Maria Sharapova of Russia celebrates after winning her women's singles final match against Simona Halep of Romania at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 7, 2014.
Sharapova leads the team Manila Mavericks, alongside Andy Murray, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Carlos Moya, Daniel Nestor, Kirsten Flipkens, and Treat Huey. The Mavericks will play against three other teams, namely, U.A.E. Royals, Indian Aces, and Singapore Lions. The opening leg will be held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena from Nov. 28 to Nov. 30.
Other tennis stars who will be participating in Manila include Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Eugenie Bouchard, Daniela Hantuchova, Sanja Mirza, Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet, Lleyton Hewitt, Goran Ivanisevic, Patrick Rafter, Gael Monfils, and Fabrice Santoro, according to a statement posted on the the venue's official website.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 31, 2014
IPTL's Chief Operating Officer Eric Gottschalk has said that all the teams will be in Manila but not every player will come to play. "Nadal and Djokovic play for the league but will not travel to Manila, they will only play in Dubai and India," Gottschalk said.
OTHER IPTL TEAMS
U.A.E. Falcons - Novak Djokovic, Richard Gasquet, Nenad Zimonjic, Janko Tipsarevic, Goran Ivanisevic, Malek Jaziri, Caroline Wozniacki, Eugenie Bouchard.
Indian Aces - Rafael Nadal, Gael Monfils, Pete Sampras, Rohan Bopanna, Fabrice Santoro, Sania Mirza, and Ana Ivanovic.
Singapore Lions - Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Nick Kyrgios, Patrick Rafter, Tomas Berdych, Bruno Soares, Serena Williams, and Daniela Hantuchova.
All the teams will play in 24 best-of-five matches in a round-robin format for men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, and mixed doubles. The teams will take turns playing against each team across the four counties, Philippines, India, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), and Singapore. The winner of the event will bring home $1 million dollars.
The next stop of the teams will be in Singapore from Dec. 2 to Dec. 4. Then, they will travel next to India for the 3-day event from Dec. 6 to Dec. 8. The last stop will be in the U.A.E. from Dec. 11 to Dec. 13.
Video courtesy:YouTube/IPTL-International Premier Tennis League
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop