Microsoft Offers A Free Game With The Xbox One While Japan Gives Lukewarm Response To Launch
By Gel Galang | September 5, 2014 12:56 PM EST
With Microsoft expanding the Xbox One's reach to 29 markets this November, it's clear there are still a number of customers who can transition from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One or who can be part of the Xbox community. But this time, Microsoft is trying a new approach to entice more fans to make the leap.
Visitors play video games on Xbox at the Microsoft exhibition stand during the Gamescom 2014 fair in Cologne August 13, 2014. The Gamescom convention, Europe's largest video games trade fair, runs from August 13 to August 17.
'Driveclub' vs. 'Forza Horizon 2': Week 7 Cars Revealed As New Snowy Weather And Hi-Res Snapshots Get Teased Again
Over at the Xbox Wire, Microsoft has announced that from Sept. 7 to 13, those who are buying the Xbox one in any of the participating retailers in the U.S. can get a free Xbox One game when they purchase the console. The good thing here is buyers can choose any Xbox One game they want, from the likes of "Destiny" or "Madden NFL 15" to big titles like "Titanfall" and "Watch Dogs." Granted there is a list of games available, but the list does feature a number of good titles.
The Results Of Expanding To Japan May Not Be As Great
In terms of expansion, the Xbox One has already been documented for its launch in Japan. But the launch day did not look as great as it did for the PS4.
Kotaku has collated some media photos of the launch, and the expected queues and excited customers did not appear in the images. Instead of a long queue the night before launch as expected in Akihabara, some photos show a deserted area in front of electronics stores.
How these can affect the sales numbers of the Xbox One remains to be seen. But according to the source, given the difference in release date of the PS4 and the Xbox One, a possible reason for the lack of interest at launch could be that potential customers have already imported their Xbox One consoles.
Weekend Free Play For Xbox Live Gold Members
"Forza Horizon 2" is nearing its release date for Sept. 30. And in order to bring up the hype a notch, Microsoft is holding a weekend event for the "Forza Motorsport 5." Major Nelson announced over his blog that members of the Xbox Live Gold can take "Forza Motorsport 5" for a spin this weekend.
The free play weekend starts at 12:01 a.m. PDT on Sept. 4, Thursday, and will last until 11:59 p.m. PDT on Sept. 7, Sunday. Members of the Xbox One Live Gold can access the "Forza Motorsport 5" for free and as a full game.
Those who don't have a copy of the "Forza Motorsport 5" can also purchase a copy after the weekend. All progress gamers have already made carries over to their purchased copy, as they can continue playing where they stopped during the weekend.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop