Drunk Benedict Cumberbatch Delivers Hilarious Acceptance Speech at the GQ Awards [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | September 5, 2014 10:48 AM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch gave the most adorable drunk speech at the GQ Men of the Year Award on Tuesday. The “Sherlock” star collected his Actor of the Year trophy in London while clearly inebriated, but still appeared charming in the process.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch arrives for a dinner to celebrate the work of The Royal Marsden hosted by Britain Prince William at Windsor Castle, in Windsor, May 13, 2014.
Admitting that he “drank a lot,” the 38-year-old actor thanked fellow actors James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy for “not being available,” before talking about “Downton Abbey,” how his parents, actors Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham, have “reared” him and why he needed to use the loo.
“It’s a wonderful thing. It is an embarrassment of riches, our profession in general, really,” Cumberbatch said, adding that he was in a room full of extraordinary people, including “motor drivers.”
“Motor drivers? What century am I from? Auditioning from ‘Downton Abbey’ or some s---. Not that ‘Downton Abbey’ is s---!” he clarified immediately.
“Where was I? I’m gonna stop swearing because my mother is going to disown me,” he continued. “Thank you mum and dad for rearing me. Rearing? Again, what century? That’s like you’re a farm yard animal ... Maybe I could play one?
“I drank a lot and now I need to loo. So thanks a lot. See you in a bit.”
His speech may be incoherent and perhaps even non-sensical, but for his fans, it was “the best speech ever.”
“The most adorable, drunk acceptance speech,” one YouTube user wrote, while another one added, “Best. Acceptance. Speech. Ever. Go home everyone, this man has won life yet again.”
There are those who have criticised Cumberbatch as well, but as his fans have defended him, it was clear that he got a bit too much to drunk, but he wasn’t rowdy or offensive to anyone.
Cumberbatch accepted the award after a successful year on screen. He co-starred in a number of blockbuster hits, including “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “12 Years a Slave,” “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” and “August: Osage County.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia