Drunk Benedict Cumberbatch Delivers Hilarious Acceptance Speech at the GQ Awards [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | September 5, 2014 10:48 AM EST
Benedict Cumberbatch gave the most adorable drunk speech at the GQ Men of the Year Award on Tuesday. The “Sherlock” star collected his Actor of the Year trophy in London while clearly inebriated, but still appeared charming in the process.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch arrives for a dinner to celebrate the work of The Royal Marsden hosted by Britain Prince William at Windsor Castle, in Windsor, May 13, 2014.
Admitting that he “drank a lot,” the 38-year-old actor thanked fellow actors James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy for “not being available,” before talking about “Downton Abbey,” how his parents, actors Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham, have “reared” him and why he needed to use the loo.
“It’s a wonderful thing. It is an embarrassment of riches, our profession in general, really,” Cumberbatch said, adding that he was in a room full of extraordinary people, including “motor drivers.”
“Motor drivers? What century am I from? Auditioning from ‘Downton Abbey’ or some s---. Not that ‘Downton Abbey’ is s---!” he clarified immediately.
“Where was I? I’m gonna stop swearing because my mother is going to disown me,” he continued. “Thank you mum and dad for rearing me. Rearing? Again, what century? That’s like you’re a farm yard animal ... Maybe I could play one?
“I drank a lot and now I need to loo. So thanks a lot. See you in a bit.”
His speech may be incoherent and perhaps even non-sensical, but for his fans, it was “the best speech ever.”
“The most adorable, drunk acceptance speech,” one YouTube user wrote, while another one added, “Best. Acceptance. Speech. Ever. Go home everyone, this man has won life yet again.”
There are those who have criticised Cumberbatch as well, but as his fans have defended him, it was clear that he got a bit too much to drunk, but he wasn’t rowdy or offensive to anyone.
Cumberbatch accepted the award after a successful year on screen. He co-starred in a number of blockbuster hits, including “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “12 Years a Slave,” “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” and “August: Osage County.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles