Joan Rivers Succumbs To Throat Surgery Complications, Dead at 81
By Annie Dee | September 5, 2014 10:19 AM EST
E! talk show host and comedienne, Joan Rivers succumbed to throat surgery complications and passed away on September 4. The straightforward host was 81.
Comedian Joan Rivers arrives for the premiere of the documentary ''Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work'' during the 2010 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah January 25, 2010.
Her daughter, Melissa, shared in a statement that her mother peacfully passed away at 1:17 p.m. surrounded by family and close friends. She also added that her mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh although it is difficult to do right now and she know that her final wish would be that they return to laughing soon.
Rivers was brought to New York's Mt. Sinai hospital after she stopped breathing in the middle of he throat operation on August 28. She was later on put into an induced coma so that her condition can be evaluated and monitored carefully. She succumbed to her condition after a week.
While on coma, the outpouring of support and prayers for the comedienne to make through her condition was overwhelming.
Celebrities now react to the unfortunate news with the same fervour, remembering the great woman Joan Rivers was.
Donald Trump was among one of them. It could be remembered that Joan Rivers starred on his show Celebrity Apprentice 2 and won the title. Trump tweeted that Rivers is both an "amazing woman" and a "great friend". Trump also said that her talent and energy were "boundless".
Rivers was known for her humour and some celebrities felt it apt to grieve about her passing with humour-laden tweets as well, in honour of her memory.
Lena Dunham tweeted, "I told Maron I'd have a zinger when Joan died. But I didn't think she ever would. She felt eternal and anyway, zingers are her territory. That being said, Joan is gone but a piece of her lives on: her nose, because it's made of polyurethane".
E! Online reports that her "Fashion Police" co-stars, Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Obsourne and George also shared their grief. Rivers was remembered by her colleagues as a truly beautiful person and a real genius.
Rancic stated that She was not only the funniest woman she have ever met but was incredibly loving, honest and lived her life with no regrets. She also sated that working with Rivers for the last 13 years was one of the true joys of her life. "She could put a smile on you face, instantly, no matter how hard your day was". Rancic added.
The whole world feels the same. In addition to her daughter, Rivers is survived by a grandson, Cooper. Her sister Barbara died last year at the age of 82.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks