Sony Xperia Z3 Compact vs. Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
By Pavithra Rathinavel | September 5, 2014 10:07 AM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini was released in July, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has recently been unveiled at the IFA 2014 event. Also, the compact device from Sony will hit the store shelves sometime in September. Readers who are interested in the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini or the latest Sony Xperia Z3 Compact should check out the specifications, features and price comparison.
A receptionist speaks on a phone under a Sony Corp logo at the company's headquarters in Tokyo, in this file picture taken February 6, 2014. Sponsors Adidas, Sony, Visa and Coca-Cola on June 8, 2014 called on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil.
Display, Exterior And Size
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini comes with a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED display bundled with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution. The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, on the other hand, features a 4.6-inch IPS LCD display and the resolution is same as the Samsung device. In addition, the pixel densities of Samsung and Sony handsets stand at 326 ppi and 319 ppi respectively.
When it comes to the exterior, the Galaxy S5 Mini features the same perforated (dotted) plastic/ polycarbonate back seen in the Galaxy S5 handset. In addition, the handset features a glossy but fake metal band covering the corners of the handset. In many ways, the phone looks similar to the Galaxy S5, according to Tech Radar. The Xperia Z3 Compact, meanwhile, features an aluminium frame and hardened glass rear. In addition, the Sony device uses Bravia range of display technology that takes the viewing experience to a whole new level. The display quality stands out especially when watching videos or playing games, says Trusted Reviews.
The thickness and the weight of the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact are 0.34-inch and 129 g respectively, whereas the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is 0.36-inch thick and weighs 120 g.
Hardware, Software And Memory
The Xperia Z3 Compact is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, is powered by a quad-core (Exynos 3) Cortex-A7 processor clocked at 1.4 GHz. Also, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini houses only 1.5 GB of RAM, while the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact comes with 2 GB of RAM.
In addition, the mini device from Samsung runs on Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with TouchWiz UI on top of it. Whereas the Sony device runs on Android v4.4.4 KitKat OS. Furthermore, both the devices offer 16 GB of internal storage and microSD card support for expansion up to 64 GB.
Camera And Battery
The Sony device trumps the Samsung handset head-on in the camera department. The Galaxy S5 Mini sports an 8 MP rear-facing camera unit with LED flash, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact features a solid 20.7 MP primary camera with LED flash. Also, the Samsung device houses a 2.1 MP front-facing shooter, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact comes with a 2.2 MP shooter.
Additionally, the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact houses a much-powerful Li-Ion 2600 mAh battery, whereas the Samsung handset houses a relatively inferior Li-Ion 2100 mAh battery unit.
1. Both the phones support Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, LTE, microUSB and NFC. While the Samsung device supports Infrared port, the Sony device doesn't.
2. The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact comes in black, white, green and orange hues, whereas the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset comes in black, white, blue and gold colours.
3. The Galaxy S5 Mini houses a fingerprint scanner, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact doesn't.
4. In addition, the Samsung device comes with a heart rate monitor, while the Sony handset doesn't.
5. Both the handsets feature water and dust resistant exterior (IP67/IP68 certified).
6. While the Samsung device supports micro-SIM, the Sony device employs nano-SIM. Also, one of the variants named Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (Duos) supports dual-SIM mode, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact doesn't.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (16 GB) is priced at AU$499.95. Meanwhile, the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (16 GB) is expected to cost between £450 and £500 in the UK. However, Clove (UK Mobile Retailer) has listed the device for £432, according to PC Advisor.
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. Sony Xperia Z3 - Specifications, Features And Price Review - [Read]
3. Moto G2 (At $214) vs. Moto G - Early Specifications And Price Comparison- [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]