Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce’s Pay Cut 40%
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 5, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Because of the financial losses suffered by Australian flag carrier Qantas, the officials of the company, led by Chief Executive Alan Joyce, suffered hefty pay cuts during the last financial year.
Two Qantas passenger jets are seen on the tarmac at Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport
Joyce's salary was cut by 5 per cent and he received no bonuses, reducing to $2 million or 40 per cent his total compensation package. But the bigger loss was by Qantas which reported $2.8 billion deficit for year 2013/14.
The downsizing was felt across the Flying Roo which started to axe 5,000 jobs and froze the pay of senior officials, resulting in Joyce's compensation package lower by $1.33 million compared to the previous financial year when he earned $3.33 million. That amount included a cash bonus and awards deferred from prior years.
It was part of Qantas's goal to save $2 billion over three years. So far, the air carrier has only shed about 2,500 jobs. In the coming months, it would sit down with unions that represent the long-haul pilots and aircraft engineers to discuss a proposed new enterprise bargaining agreement.
The air carrier had begun six weeks ago meeting with the Transport Workers Union to tackle the agreement for 2,000 ground staff whose three-year agreement ended on July 1.
The pay of Simon Hickey, head of the losing Qantas International, dipped to $948,000 from $1.5 million, while that of Jetstar boss Jayne Hridlick went down by $323,000 from $1.04 million. The cut on the pay of Domestic head Lyell Strambi was by $353,000 to $1.08 million.
Overall, Qantas saved $6.93 million by cutting the salaries and perks of its executives.
Despite the weak annual report released on Thursday, Qantas shareprice increased by almost 21 per cent, following the declaration by Joyce that the airline's worst days are over and he predicted a return to pre-tax profitability within the next few months.
YouTube/News and You
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Black Friday Ad 2014 Update: Walmart Black Friday Store Maps Which Have In-Store Information On Deals And Doorbusters Officially Released [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target Black Friday 2014 Store Maps App Featuring In-Store Deals And Doorbusters Available Now On Apple Store And Google Play Store, Plus Check Out The Target Black Friday 2014 Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- Gina Rinehart Loses Bid To Keep Family Feud Lawsuit Details Private; 2 Estranged Children Seek Millions In Mining Profit
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots