2014 FIBA World Cup: Greece vs. Argentina Live Streaming and Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | September 5, 2014 4:23 AM EST
The final game in Group B will decide which team will advance to the next round as the top in their group. Two basketball powerhouses meet on Thursday in Spain in the last day of the preliminary round of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Greece made their announcement as one of the teams to beat from in Group B with a blowout 87-64 win over Senegal on the first day. They followed it up with three more one-sided victories beating the Philippines (82-70), Puerto Rico (90-79) and Croatia (76-65) in the next three.
Meanwhile, Argentina also had a great start notching a 98-75 win over South American rivals Puerto Rico on opening day before falling to Euro contender Croatia, 90-85 the next game. The Argentines have since recovered with wins over the Philippines, 85-81 and Senegal, 81-46.
Curiously, despite the rich basketball and winning tradition between these teams, Argentina and Greece has only met twice in FIBA tournaments. Overall, including games at the Olympics, Argentina and Greece have met six times and are tied at three wins apiece.
Argentina vs. Greece Head-to-Head History (FIBA World Cup/World Championships):
Greece def. Argentina, 81-78 (Aug. 17, 1990)
Greece def. Argentina, 102-88 (July 18, 1986)
Both Greece and Argentina rely on their veterans on both ends of the floor. The Argentines are led by Luis Scola (22.8 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game), Andres Nocioni (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) and Walter Herrman (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) while the Greek will feature Giannis Bourousis (11.0 points and 8.8 rebounds), Kostas Kaimakoglou (11.2 points and 7.5 rebounds) and Georgios Printezis (10.8 points and 3.2 rebounds).
The teams are closely matched statistically in the 2014 FIBA World Cup; Greece has the slight edge in 2-point field goal percentage (57.1% to 52.4%) and total rebounds per game (40.5 RPG to 37.0 RPG). Meanwhile, Argentina has the advantage in 3-point percentage (39.3% to 33.3%) and taking care of the ball (9.8 turnovers to 12.2 turnovers).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013