2014 FIBA World Cup: Greece vs. Argentina Live Streaming and Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | September 5, 2014 4:23 AM EST
The final game in Group B will decide which team will advance to the next round as the top in their group. Two basketball powerhouses meet on Thursday in Spain in the last day of the preliminary round of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Greece made their announcement as one of the teams to beat from in Group B with a blowout 87-64 win over Senegal on the first day. They followed it up with three more one-sided victories beating the Philippines (82-70), Puerto Rico (90-79) and Croatia (76-65) in the next three.
Meanwhile, Argentina also had a great start notching a 98-75 win over South American rivals Puerto Rico on opening day before falling to Euro contender Croatia, 90-85 the next game. The Argentines have since recovered with wins over the Philippines, 85-81 and Senegal, 81-46.
Curiously, despite the rich basketball and winning tradition between these teams, Argentina and Greece has only met twice in FIBA tournaments. Overall, including games at the Olympics, Argentina and Greece have met six times and are tied at three wins apiece.
Argentina vs. Greece Head-to-Head History (FIBA World Cup/World Championships):
Greece def. Argentina, 81-78 (Aug. 17, 1990)
Greece def. Argentina, 102-88 (July 18, 1986)
Both Greece and Argentina rely on their veterans on both ends of the floor. The Argentines are led by Luis Scola (22.8 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game), Andres Nocioni (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) and Walter Herrman (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) while the Greek will feature Giannis Bourousis (11.0 points and 8.8 rebounds), Kostas Kaimakoglou (11.2 points and 7.5 rebounds) and Georgios Printezis (10.8 points and 3.2 rebounds).
The teams are closely matched statistically in the 2014 FIBA World Cup; Greece has the slight edge in 2-point field goal percentage (57.1% to 52.4%) and total rebounds per game (40.5 RPG to 37.0 RPG). Meanwhile, Argentina has the advantage in 3-point percentage (39.3% to 33.3%) and taking care of the ball (9.8 turnovers to 12.2 turnovers).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO