2014 FIBA World Cup: Greece vs. Argentina Live Streaming and Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | September 5, 2014 4:23 AM EST
The final game in Group B will decide which team will advance to the next round as the top in their group. Two basketball powerhouses meet on Thursday in Spain in the last day of the preliminary round of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Greece made their announcement as one of the teams to beat from in Group B with a blowout 87-64 win over Senegal on the first day. They followed it up with three more one-sided victories beating the Philippines (82-70), Puerto Rico (90-79) and Croatia (76-65) in the next three.
Meanwhile, Argentina also had a great start notching a 98-75 win over South American rivals Puerto Rico on opening day before falling to Euro contender Croatia, 90-85 the next game. The Argentines have since recovered with wins over the Philippines, 85-81 and Senegal, 81-46.
Curiously, despite the rich basketball and winning tradition between these teams, Argentina and Greece has only met twice in FIBA tournaments. Overall, including games at the Olympics, Argentina and Greece have met six times and are tied at three wins apiece.
Argentina vs. Greece Head-to-Head History (FIBA World Cup/World Championships):
Greece def. Argentina, 81-78 (Aug. 17, 1990)
Greece def. Argentina, 102-88 (July 18, 1986)
Both Greece and Argentina rely on their veterans on both ends of the floor. The Argentines are led by Luis Scola (22.8 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game), Andres Nocioni (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) and Walter Herrman (10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds) while the Greek will feature Giannis Bourousis (11.0 points and 8.8 rebounds), Kostas Kaimakoglou (11.2 points and 7.5 rebounds) and Georgios Printezis (10.8 points and 3.2 rebounds).
The teams are closely matched statistically in the 2014 FIBA World Cup; Greece has the slight edge in 2-point field goal percentage (57.1% to 52.4%) and total rebounds per game (40.5 RPG to 37.0 RPG). Meanwhile, Argentina has the advantage in 3-point percentage (39.3% to 33.3%) and taking care of the ball (9.8 turnovers to 12.2 turnovers).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists