Floyd Mayweather Responds To Illiteracy Jabs, Says He's Focused On Maidana Rematch
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 5, 2014 3:14 AM EST
Reading is an enjoyable hobby and some people even get to add it in their daily grind. Recently, Floyd Mayweather has addressed 50 Cent's assertions that he can't even read. According to Mayweather, excellent reading skills don't matter in his life and that his main concentration is with the upcoming rematch with Marcos Maidana.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. is seen during a media workout at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas
In a press conference for his Sept. 12 rematch, Maidana has stated that he tries to avoid distraction and tries to focus on defending his welterweight and junior middleweight titles against the Argentine boxer. The unbeaten boxer said he couldn't care less about what people think.
"People can believe whatever they want to believe," Mayweather said. "Intelligence and education are two different things," he added. Mayweather went on and lamented that making fun of someone's flaws such as inability to read is not funny. He said that all the accomplishments that he had in the sporting world of boxing would truly mean so much more if he, indeed, is unable to read.
As for the radio station who released an audio of him who appeared to be struggling to read, Mayweather defended himself and said that he is not perfect and sometimes, like normal people, he gets one of those bad days. He claimed that the radio stations edited his audio and made it appear how they want it to look like.
Mayweather's team has also sent Boxing Scene a link to a video of him reading teleprompters.
The unbeaten boxer has said in the past the he dropped out of high school so he can pursue a career in boxing. He has been successful in doing so because he was able to maintain an untarnished boxing record of 46 wins and zero loss, 26 of which were won by knockouts. The volley of insults about his reading skills and education might just be a little too harsh. Even American journalist and TV personality Marc Lamont Hill thought taking jabs at Mayweather's illiteracy was something cruel.
Mayweather vs. Maidana rematch will take place on Sept. 12 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The main event's undercard features World Boxing Council (WBC) super bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz vs. Manuel Roman, International Boxing Federation (IBF) lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez vs. Mickey Bey, and Alfredo Aquino vs. James De La Rosa.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate