Man Utd Transfer News: PSG Was Di Maria's Primary Choice, Claims Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 7:21 PM EST
Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi claims that Manchester United signing Angel di Maria was supposed to move to the Ligue 1 giants before opting for Old Trafford.
“Di Maria wanted to come to Paris.” - Nasser Al-Khelaifi, Paris Saint-Germain's club president
The Argentinean international reportedly cost the Red Devils a whopping £66million, which PSG saw as unreasonable during the negotiation stage.
Nevertheless, Khelaifi reiterated that the Paris-based club has the financial strength to meet such demand.
"Di Maria wanted to come to Paris," he told Le Parisien.
"But, even without FFP [Financial Fair Play], we wouldn't have signed him."
Meanwhile, he went on to blast UEFA president Michel Platini for failing to rectify certain provisions in the FFP that caused unfair competition among clubs around Europe.
"I do not know if Michel Platini wants to kill French football, but FFP is not fair," he added.
"It is very difficult to understand. The big clubs stay big and small clubs remain small."
"We respect the rules but want to discuss it with Uefa in October to try to change the rules a little."
"Otherwise investors will not come in football - they will go to other sports such as Formula 1."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar