Man Utd Transfer News: PSG Was Di Maria's Primary Choice, Claims Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 7:21 PM EST
Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi claims that Manchester United signing Angel di Maria was supposed to move to the Ligue 1 giants before opting for Old Trafford.
“Di Maria wanted to come to Paris.” - Nasser Al-Khelaifi, Paris Saint-Germain's club president
The Argentinean international reportedly cost the Red Devils a whopping £66million, which PSG saw as unreasonable during the negotiation stage.
Nevertheless, Khelaifi reiterated that the Paris-based club has the financial strength to meet such demand.
"Di Maria wanted to come to Paris," he told Le Parisien.
"But, even without FFP [Financial Fair Play], we wouldn't have signed him."
Meanwhile, he went on to blast UEFA president Michel Platini for failing to rectify certain provisions in the FFP that caused unfair competition among clubs around Europe.
"I do not know if Michel Platini wants to kill French football, but FFP is not fair," he added.
"It is very difficult to understand. The big clubs stay big and small clubs remain small."
"We respect the rules but want to discuss it with Uefa in October to try to change the rules a little."
"Otherwise investors will not come in football - they will go to other sports such as Formula 1."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'