Transfer News: Sagna Cites 'Career Boost' As Reason For Leaving Arsenal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 6:45 PM EST
Manchester City defender Bacary Sagna disclosed that it was a matter of "career boost" that led him to decide to move on to a new chapter of his playing career.
Manchester City's Bacary Sagna (R) challenges Stoke City's Victor Moses during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad stadium in Manchester, northern England August 30, 2014.
The French international headed to the Etihad on a free-transfer after refusing to sign an extension offered by the north London outfit that sparked an outcry by supporters that the 31-year-old lacked loyalty to the club.
"I am 31 and this was the right time for me to leave Arsenal. I wanted to see somewhere new, and to boost my career," said the former Auxerre man.
"I have left a family club, which I joined when I was very young, and where I have known Arsene Wenger all the time."
"Arsenal are, and remain, a quality side. But I can understand their fans feeling frustrated when they see players moving to other clubs."
While he sees it as an improvement insofar as his career is concerned, Sagna knows that he still has to prove his worth under Manuel Pellegrini.
"But I am now part of a much deeper squad at City, where it's even harder for me to win a first-team place," he added.
"It is fair to say that could pose a risk to my place in the France side. But I'm not taking that into consideration. I feel more powerful than ever."
"It is what I was looking for. I needed it in order to go the extra mile."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]