Transfer News: Sagna Cites 'Career Boost' As Reason For Leaving Arsenal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 6:45 PM EST
Manchester City defender Bacary Sagna disclosed that it was a matter of "career boost" that led him to decide to move on to a new chapter of his playing career.
Manchester City's Bacary Sagna (R) challenges Stoke City's Victor Moses during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad stadium in Manchester, northern England August 30, 2014.
The French international headed to the Etihad on a free-transfer after refusing to sign an extension offered by the north London outfit that sparked an outcry by supporters that the 31-year-old lacked loyalty to the club.
"I am 31 and this was the right time for me to leave Arsenal. I wanted to see somewhere new, and to boost my career," said the former Auxerre man.
"I have left a family club, which I joined when I was very young, and where I have known Arsene Wenger all the time."
"Arsenal are, and remain, a quality side. But I can understand their fans feeling frustrated when they see players moving to other clubs."
While he sees it as an improvement insofar as his career is concerned, Sagna knows that he still has to prove his worth under Manuel Pellegrini.
"But I am now part of a much deeper squad at City, where it's even harder for me to win a first-team place," he added.
"It is fair to say that could pose a risk to my place in the France side. But I'm not taking that into consideration. I feel more powerful than ever."
"It is what I was looking for. I needed it in order to go the extra mile."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- Marin Cilic Is The Third-Highest Earner On ATP Tour With His $3M US Open Prize Money
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone