Transfer News: Sagna Cites 'Career Boost' As Reason For Leaving Arsenal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 6:45 PM EST
Manchester City defender Bacary Sagna disclosed that it was a matter of "career boost" that led him to decide to move on to a new chapter of his playing career.
Manchester City's Bacary Sagna (R) challenges Stoke City's Victor Moses during their English Premier League soccer match at the Etihad stadium in Manchester, northern England August 30, 2014.
The French international headed to the Etihad on a free-transfer after refusing to sign an extension offered by the north London outfit that sparked an outcry by supporters that the 31-year-old lacked loyalty to the club.
"I am 31 and this was the right time for me to leave Arsenal. I wanted to see somewhere new, and to boost my career," said the former Auxerre man.
"I have left a family club, which I joined when I was very young, and where I have known Arsene Wenger all the time."
"Arsenal are, and remain, a quality side. But I can understand their fans feeling frustrated when they see players moving to other clubs."
While he sees it as an improvement insofar as his career is concerned, Sagna knows that he still has to prove his worth under Manuel Pellegrini.
"But I am now part of a much deeper squad at City, where it's even harder for me to win a first-team place," he added.
"It is fair to say that could pose a risk to my place in the France side. But I'm not taking that into consideration. I feel more powerful than ever."
"It is what I was looking for. I needed it in order to go the extra mile."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage