Man Utd: Van Persie Determined To Compete With Falcao For Starting Berth
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie revealed that he is ready to compete with recent loan signing Radamel Falcao for a starting berth on Louis van Gaal's squad.
Manchester United's Robin van Persie (R) is challenged by Burnley's Michael Duff during their English Premier League soccer match at Turf Moor in Burnley, northern England August 30, 2014.
The Colombian international was heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, but apparently opted to sign with the Red Devils.
"I welcome his arrival, he makes us better," Van Persie told Fox Sports NL.
"At a top club you should always go for the best, which also fits my philosophy. Falcao must fight for his place, as I also have to."
RVP's health, which is rumoured to be the primary reason that prompted the Old Trafford hierarchy to acquire another top player upfront that can bolster their chances of securing a top-four finish and in turn, get back to Europe's most prestigious competition - the Champions League.
"I am impressed that people have the imagination to invent something like that," he added, referring to gossips that he will have to undergo a knee operation.
"I do not know where it comes from and can say with my hand on my heart that I won't be in a hospital to have the operation."
Van Persie suffered a series of injuries (groin, hamstring, knee) last season that caused him to make only 21 Premier League appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’