Man Utd: Van Persie Determined To Compete With Falcao For Starting Berth
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 4, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie revealed that he is ready to compete with recent loan signing Radamel Falcao for a starting berth on Louis van Gaal's squad.
Manchester United's Robin van Persie (R) is challenged by Burnley's Michael Duff during their English Premier League soccer match at Turf Moor in Burnley, northern England August 30, 2014.
The Colombian international was heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, but apparently opted to sign with the Red Devils.
"I welcome his arrival, he makes us better," Van Persie told Fox Sports NL.
"At a top club you should always go for the best, which also fits my philosophy. Falcao must fight for his place, as I also have to."
RVP's health, which is rumoured to be the primary reason that prompted the Old Trafford hierarchy to acquire another top player upfront that can bolster their chances of securing a top-four finish and in turn, get back to Europe's most prestigious competition - the Champions League.
"I am impressed that people have the imagination to invent something like that," he added, referring to gossips that he will have to undergo a knee operation.
"I do not know where it comes from and can say with my hand on my heart that I won't be in a hospital to have the operation."
Van Persie suffered a series of injuries (groin, hamstring, knee) last season that caused him to make only 21 Premier League appearances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery