Foxtel Cuts Subscription Fees, Offers Cheaper Packages
By Anne Lu | September 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Foxtel has succumbed to consumers’ needs and dropped the price of its basic cable package. It is also launching a new on-demand BoxSets channel in an attempt to attract a better share of the market.
The Australian pay TV previously lamented how Australians opt to illegally download episodes of the U.S. series “Game of Thrones” than pay for subscription from the company. Foxtel has the exclusive right to air the HBO show in the country.
The company originally offered “Game of Thrones” along with its other products in its package, but viewers reasoned out that they only wanted to see one show.
Unlike other paid subscription services, Foxtel’s content expires, which means its subscribers don’t get to keep the episodes they paid for every month.
With no other avenues to take when they wanted to watch “Game of Thrones,” Australians chose to download the episodes from Torrent sites.
Foxtel has now announced that it has revamped its cable and satellite subscription prices. From $50, it now offers its basic cable package to $25.
It will also restructure its premium tiers, with the Movies pack at $20 per month, the Sports Pack at $25, Entertaiment Plus at $10, Kids Pack at $10, Docos at $10 and the Drama Pack at $20.
The new BoxSets channel, which includes “Game of Thrones,” is at $10 per month.
The new pricing will be effective from November 3.
“We know that many Australians are aware of the amazing content and technology that Foxtel offers but feel that the price is not right for their budget,” chief executive Richard Freudenstein said. “A $25 entry point that gives access to over 40 popular channels in our Entertainment Pack will cause millions of people to have another look at Foxtel.”
The price slash is said to be a preemptive move before the popular U.S. subscription service Netflix hits the Australian market. Netflix has been rumoured to launch in Australia sometime in the immediate future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine