Foxtel Cuts Subscription Fees, Offers Cheaper Packages
By Anne Lu | September 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Foxtel has succumbed to consumers’ needs and dropped the price of its basic cable package. It is also launching a new on-demand BoxSets channel in an attempt to attract a better share of the market.
The Australian pay TV previously lamented how Australians opt to illegally download episodes of the U.S. series “Game of Thrones” than pay for subscription from the company. Foxtel has the exclusive right to air the HBO show in the country.
The company originally offered “Game of Thrones” along with its other products in its package, but viewers reasoned out that they only wanted to see one show.
Unlike other paid subscription services, Foxtel’s content expires, which means its subscribers don’t get to keep the episodes they paid for every month.
With no other avenues to take when they wanted to watch “Game of Thrones,” Australians chose to download the episodes from Torrent sites.
Foxtel has now announced that it has revamped its cable and satellite subscription prices. From $50, it now offers its basic cable package to $25.
It will also restructure its premium tiers, with the Movies pack at $20 per month, the Sports Pack at $25, Entertaiment Plus at $10, Kids Pack at $10, Docos at $10 and the Drama Pack at $20.
The new BoxSets channel, which includes “Game of Thrones,” is at $10 per month.
The new pricing will be effective from November 3.
“We know that many Australians are aware of the amazing content and technology that Foxtel offers but feel that the price is not right for their budget,” chief executive Richard Freudenstein said. “A $25 entry point that gives access to over 40 popular channels in our Entertainment Pack will cause millions of people to have another look at Foxtel.”
The price slash is said to be a preemptive move before the popular U.S. subscription service Netflix hits the Australian market. Netflix has been rumoured to launch in Australia sometime in the immediate future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists