Foxtel Cuts Subscription Fees, Offers Cheaper Packages
By Anne Lu | September 4, 2014 3:58 PM EST
Foxtel has succumbed to consumers’ needs and dropped the price of its basic cable package. It is also launching a new on-demand BoxSets channel in an attempt to attract a better share of the market.
The Australian pay TV previously lamented how Australians opt to illegally download episodes of the U.S. series “Game of Thrones” than pay for subscription from the company. Foxtel has the exclusive right to air the HBO show in the country.
The company originally offered “Game of Thrones” along with its other products in its package, but viewers reasoned out that they only wanted to see one show.
Unlike other paid subscription services, Foxtel’s content expires, which means its subscribers don’t get to keep the episodes they paid for every month.
With no other avenues to take when they wanted to watch “Game of Thrones,” Australians chose to download the episodes from Torrent sites.
Foxtel has now announced that it has revamped its cable and satellite subscription prices. From $50, it now offers its basic cable package to $25.
It will also restructure its premium tiers, with the Movies pack at $20 per month, the Sports Pack at $25, Entertaiment Plus at $10, Kids Pack at $10, Docos at $10 and the Drama Pack at $20.
The new BoxSets channel, which includes “Game of Thrones,” is at $10 per month.
The new pricing will be effective from November 3.
“We know that many Australians are aware of the amazing content and technology that Foxtel offers but feel that the price is not right for their budget,” chief executive Richard Freudenstein said. “A $25 entry point that gives access to over 40 popular channels in our Entertainment Pack will cause millions of people to have another look at Foxtel.”
The price slash is said to be a preemptive move before the popular U.S. subscription service Netflix hits the Australian market. Netflix has been rumoured to launch in Australia sometime in the immediate future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best