Los Angeles Lakers Looking To Add Eric Bledsoe, Goran Dragic In 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 4, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Jeremy Lin always has to prove his ability to take over the reins of the point guard duties in every team he joins.
We all know the Linsanity saga in New York that revived a season that was all for lost. After all the marketing revenues he generated, the Knicks did not match a back loaded salary offer from the Houston Rockets that ended his fruitful year in the Big Apple. He got the starting nod in 2012 only to be bumped off the next year by Patrick Beverly. Now that he is traded to the Los Angeles Lakers and is looking to take over the starting point guard slot, rumours of the Lakers looking to add a different point guard in 2015, makes Lin, sort of, a one year rental.
Kobe Bryant of NBA's Los Angeles Lakers speaks at a panel for the Showtime television documentary "Kobe Bryant's Muse" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 18, 2014.
According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Lakers are one of the teams that will make a hard push to acquire either Goran Dragic or Eric Bledsoe of the Phoenix Suns next year. Dragic is scheduled to become a free agent that summer while Bledsoe is in a complicated contract negotiation with the Suns' management.
Up until now, Bledsoe remains unsigned to a contract extension by his mother team and he has until Oct.1 to annex his name to the qualifying offer. The Suns have already offered a four year, $48 million extension but the fiery and diminutive point guard is seeking a maximum extension possibly north of $85 million. If he chooses to sign the qualifying offer, both sides will be at risk. Phoenix might not get any compensation back in 2015 when Bledsoe flees in free agency and the other tandem of the Slash Brothers will be also betting his health a year after undergoing knee surgery.
The Lakers will be loaded in cap space next summer and could target new franchise players as Kobe Bryant goes into the final legs of his career. The Lakers were also mentioned as possible destination of potential free agents in 2016 such as Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Marc Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies.
In the meantime, the team will try to work out a revamped roster full of an assortment of players with different roles. Newly minted coach Byron Scott will have his hands full managing of the return of Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash from a year-long absence and the integration of new players such as rookie Julius Randle, Carlos Boozer and Ed Davis. This will not be a tanking season for the Lakers as Bryant is determined to push his squad into the playoffs no matter what the cost.
The Slash Brothers, Bledsoe and Dragic, may do wonders to do that trick but still, they are a year away.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date