Los Angeles Lakers Looking To Add Eric Bledsoe, Goran Dragic In 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 4, 2014 3:54 PM EST
Jeremy Lin always has to prove his ability to take over the reins of the point guard duties in every team he joins.
We all know the Linsanity saga in New York that revived a season that was all for lost. After all the marketing revenues he generated, the Knicks did not match a back loaded salary offer from the Houston Rockets that ended his fruitful year in the Big Apple. He got the starting nod in 2012 only to be bumped off the next year by Patrick Beverly. Now that he is traded to the Los Angeles Lakers and is looking to take over the starting point guard slot, rumours of the Lakers looking to add a different point guard in 2015, makes Lin, sort of, a one year rental.
Kobe Bryant of NBA's Los Angeles Lakers speaks at a panel for the Showtime television documentary "Kobe Bryant's Muse" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 18, 2014.
According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Lakers are one of the teams that will make a hard push to acquire either Goran Dragic or Eric Bledsoe of the Phoenix Suns next year. Dragic is scheduled to become a free agent that summer while Bledsoe is in a complicated contract negotiation with the Suns' management.
Up until now, Bledsoe remains unsigned to a contract extension by his mother team and he has until Oct.1 to annex his name to the qualifying offer. The Suns have already offered a four year, $48 million extension but the fiery and diminutive point guard is seeking a maximum extension possibly north of $85 million. If he chooses to sign the qualifying offer, both sides will be at risk. Phoenix might not get any compensation back in 2015 when Bledsoe flees in free agency and the other tandem of the Slash Brothers will be also betting his health a year after undergoing knee surgery.
The Lakers will be loaded in cap space next summer and could target new franchise players as Kobe Bryant goes into the final legs of his career. The Lakers were also mentioned as possible destination of potential free agents in 2016 such as Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Marc Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies.
In the meantime, the team will try to work out a revamped roster full of an assortment of players with different roles. Newly minted coach Byron Scott will have his hands full managing of the return of Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash from a year-long absence and the integration of new players such as rookie Julius Randle, Carlos Boozer and Ed Davis. This will not be a tanking season for the Lakers as Bryant is determined to push his squad into the playoffs no matter what the cost.
The Slash Brothers, Bledsoe and Dragic, may do wonders to do that trick but still, they are a year away.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions