2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Greece, Argentina, Senegal Advance; Puerto Rico, Croatia Aim for Final Slot in Group B
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Croatia will try to hold off Puerto Rico in the final day of the group stages of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain while the basketball national teams from Greece, Argentina and Senegal are safely into the next round.
The top four teams after the group phase will advance to the Round of 16 knockout stage.
Group B Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
14:00 - Senegal vs. Philippines
18:00 - Croatia vs. Puerto Rico
22:00 - Argentina vs. Greece
Senegal, the surprise squad of Group B has already beaten Croatia (77-75) and Puerto Rico (82-75) are safely in despite the fact that both those teams can tie them with a 2-3 win-loss record after the games on Thursday.
If Senegal manages to win over the Philippines, Puerto Rico has to beat Croatia for the South American nation to advance. However, if the Philippines beat Senegal, Puerto Rico has to beat Croatia by exactly 3 points or more to advance to the next round.
Greece has raced to a 4-0 record with relatively easy wins over Group B rivals Croatia (76-65), Senegal (87-64), Puerto Rico (90-79) and the Philippines (82-70). The Greeks must win over the Argentines however to notch the top spot in the group.
Group B teams qualifiers will be facing teams from Group A in the KO round. Before the final day, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are assured of advancing while France and Iran will battle it out for the final slot in that group.
Puerto Rico was off to a bad start in the tournament with three straight losses but their stirring win over the Philippines gave them hope of advancing. Meanwhile, Croatia meanwhile has been inconsistent all tournament long with pair of wins against Argentina and the Philippines and losses to Greece and Senegal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide