2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Greece, Argentina, Senegal Advance; Puerto Rico, Croatia Aim for Final Slot in Group B
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Croatia will try to hold off Puerto Rico in the final day of the group stages of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain while the basketball national teams from Greece, Argentina and Senegal are safely into the next round.
The top four teams after the group phase will advance to the Round of 16 knockout stage.
Group B Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
14:00 - Senegal vs. Philippines
18:00 - Croatia vs. Puerto Rico
22:00 - Argentina vs. Greece
Senegal, the surprise squad of Group B has already beaten Croatia (77-75) and Puerto Rico (82-75) are safely in despite the fact that both those teams can tie them with a 2-3 win-loss record after the games on Thursday.
If Senegal manages to win over the Philippines, Puerto Rico has to beat Croatia for the South American nation to advance. However, if the Philippines beat Senegal, Puerto Rico has to beat Croatia by exactly 3 points or more to advance to the next round.
Greece has raced to a 4-0 record with relatively easy wins over Group B rivals Croatia (76-65), Senegal (87-64), Puerto Rico (90-79) and the Philippines (82-70). The Greeks must win over the Argentines however to notch the top spot in the group.
Group B teams qualifiers will be facing teams from Group A in the KO round. Before the final day, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are assured of advancing while France and Iran will battle it out for the final slot in that group.
Puerto Rico was off to a bad start in the tournament with three straight losses but their stirring win over the Philippines gave them hope of advancing. Meanwhile, Croatia meanwhile has been inconsistent all tournament long with pair of wins against Argentina and the Philippines and losses to Greece and Senegal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS