Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. Sony Xperia Z3 – Specifications, Features And Price Comparison
By Pavithra Rathinavel | September 4, 2014 3:23 PM EST
The brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Sony Xperia Z3 were launched at the IFA 2014. Furthermore, these phones will hit the store shelves sometime in September. Readers who are interested in purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or the Sony Xperia Z3 should check out this specification, features and price comparison.
Samsung flags are set up at the main entrance to the Berlin fair ground before the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin in this August 28, 2012 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung.
Display, Design, Exterior And Size
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 features a whopping 5.7-inch Super AMOLED display, while the Sony Xperia Z3 comes with a relatively smaller 5.2-inch IPS LCD display. The screen resolutions and the pixel densities of the Galaxy Note 4 and the Xperia Z3 are (1,440 x 2,560 pixels and 515 ppi) and (1,080 x 1,920 pixels and 424 ppi) respectively.
When it comes to the screen differences, the Samsung device provides razor sharp display and much-thinner bezels. The Sony device, meanwhile, provides crystal clear and vivid display aided by TRILUMINOS display technology, Live Color LED and X-Reality guaranteeing a killer view for the users. Even though both the displays are terrific, with a humongous screen size complemented by killer QHD resolution and intricate details, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 stands out, says Phone Arena.
The same publication cheekily says the following, "the Xperia Z3 swings with the ladies while the Galaxy Note 4 plays his burly wingman". The logic behind the aforementioned statement is -- Sony Xperia Z3 sports a curved aluminium exterior, in addition to the synonymous glass panel seen in high-end Xperia devices that appeals to the Women folks. The Galaxy Note 4, on the other hand, touts the standard plastic body that is synonymous with Samsung devices and the expected metal frame covering that apparently works for the Men folks. However, both the phones are premium-looking and fashioned to the current trend.
The thickness and weight of the Sony Xperia Z3 are 0.29-inch and 163 g respectively. Whereas the Galaxy Note 4 is 0.33-inch thick and weighs 176 g.
Hardware, Software And Memory
This is an area where the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 gives the Xperia Z3 a run for its money. The Samsung device is powered by a killer and latest quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 805) Krait 450 processor, clocked at 2.7 GHz. The Sony device, on the other hand, is powered by a relatively inferior quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz. Despite this, both the phones come equipped with 3 GB of RAM.
Also it is worth noting that, Samsung offers one more processor choice based on the region of release, i.e., octa-core (Exynos 5433) processor. However, there is no information available to ascertain when and where this model will make a landfall. In addition, both the devices run on the Android OS, v4.4.4 (KitKat). In addition, the Samsung device uses its TouchWiz UI on top of Android OS.
When it comes to memory, the Samsung handset offers 32 GB of in-built storage, while the Sony handset provides 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage options. Furthermore, the Sony Xperia Z3 supports microSD card for expansion up to 128 GB, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 provides up to 64 GB.
Camera And Battery
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 sports a 16 MP ISOCELL rear-facing camera unit with LED flash, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 sports a whopping 20.7 MP primary unit with LED flash. In addition, the Xperia Z3 and the Galaxy Note 4 house 2.2 MP and 3.7 MP front-facing shooters respectively.
The Galaxy Note 4 comes with the much-loved optical image stabilization (OIS). The Xperia Z3, on the other hand, features 8x digital zoom and 3x Clear Image zoom options. The Sony device also provides 1,080p video chat option. Nevertheless, both the phones come equipped with 1,080p/4K video recording capability, photo re-focusing and editing support, says Phone Arena.
Furthermore, the Galaxy Note 4 houses a much-powerful Li-Ion 3,220 mAh battery unit, whereas the Sony Xperia Z3 features a relatively inferior 3,100 mAh battery unit.
Connectivity, SIM And Colour
Apart from the standard connectivity options, the Samsung device supports both NFC and Infrared port, whereas the Sony device supports NFC but not Infrared port. While the Galaxy Note 4 supports micro-SIM, the Xperia Z3 comes with nano-SIM support.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comes in white, gold, pink and black, while the Sony Xperia Z3 comes in black, white, silver green and copper shades.
1. Both the phones are water and dust resistant. In specific, the handset can survive 30 minutes of underwater (with 1.5 meters depth) sojourn.
2. Also there is no dearth of weather-related sensors in both the phones. However, the Xperia Z3 comes with a unique step counter and detector. The Galaxy Note 4, on the other hand, comes with UV, heart-rate, SpO2 and gesture-based sensors.
3. The distinguishing factor of the Galaxy Note 4 is its improved S-Pen stylus. The stylus is housed perfectly in the slot provided in the phablet's body. The S-Pen stylus blends seamlessly to provide natural writing experience, according to Phone Arena.
4. Also, the Samsung device boasts the much-loved fingerprint scanner for unlocking the device and also for making payments.
5. Dropbox is now offering 50 GB of free cloud storage (Duration: 2 years) for Galaxy Note 4 buyers.
6. Interestingly, the Galaxy Note 4 can charge from 0% to 50% in 30 minutes, according to Phone Arena.
Reportedly, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will be priced at a whopping €799. However, when it come to the U.S. the device's price will be between $799 and $849, says GSM Arena. Moreover PC Advisor opines that, the Sony Xperia Z3 will be priced between £550 and £600 in the U.K. However, Clove will reportedly be offering SIM-free Xperia Z3 for £525. Nonetheless, the price details have not been confirmed by the aforementioned companies thus far.
Both the devices are powerful in their own ways. However, users with keen interest in larger displays and up-to-date specs should go for the Galaxy Note 4, whereas the ones with interest in slim phones and the near-stock Android experience should go head and buy Sony Xperia Z3.
2. $245 HTC Desire 510 To Feature Qualcomm's First 64-bit Capable Processor, 4G LTE Support, 2100-mAh Battery And More - [Read]
3. Moto G2 (At $214) vs. Moto G - Early Specifications And Price Comparison- [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports