Ronaldo Souza Incorporates Ronda Rousey’s Judo Into Fighting Arsenal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 4, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza is already one of the best fighters in jiu-jitsu but he would not like to rest on his laurels. He is targeting incopying women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousay and add judo to his full set of weapons.
The two time Olympic gold medalist is one of the most skilled and decorated fighters in jiu-jitsu and he believes that fighters in the future would be looking to include judo in their discipline and use the techniques in actual Octagon battles.
"The top judo fighters around the world have regularly trained so hard that they set an example for MMA fighters", Souza said. "Ronda has taken it to another degree. She shows by the way she performs in the Octagon that other fighters can use judo successfully in their strategy".
Jacare relays the undefeated women's champ has motivated him to use more judo techniques as it gives him an additional weapon to compete at the highest level. He is slated to face Gerard Mousasi in the main event of Foxwoods Resort that will be aired at Fox Sports 1. Souza will be looking to avenge a defeat he suffered from his upcoming opponent in 2008 when Mousasi knocked him out with a brutal up-kick as they contested the DREAM middleweight title. He was known then as a submission artist and was knocked out just two minutes into the match.
Souza was also prasing Mousasi, specially his improvement in jiu-jitsu saying, "It's incredible how much his jiu-jitsu has improved". A win over Mousasi will move him closer to the top of the middleweight rankings and possibly a shot at a title fight against the winner between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort on Dec. 6. Mousasi bowed to Lyoto Machida in a Fight Night Battle but has since recovered by submitting Mark Munoz last May 31 at Germany.
However, UFC promoter Dana White has made no guarantees of a title shot given that the Weidman-Belfort match is still months away. White, however, is impressed by the leaps and bounds in Souza's recent performances. His background in jiu-jitsu has earned the respect of his peers and has propelled him to explore other disciplines.
Souza, though, has made White into a fan with his recent performances. He has become one of the best-rounded fighters in the world. The respect opponents have for his jiu-jitsu has opened other areas for him to exploit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones