Ronaldo Souza Incorporates Ronda Rousey’s Judo Into Fighting Arsenal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 4, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza is already one of the best fighters in jiu-jitsu but he would not like to rest on his laurels. He is targeting incopying women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousay and add judo to his full set of weapons.
The two time Olympic gold medalist is one of the most skilled and decorated fighters in jiu-jitsu and he believes that fighters in the future would be looking to include judo in their discipline and use the techniques in actual Octagon battles.
"The top judo fighters around the world have regularly trained so hard that they set an example for MMA fighters", Souza said. "Ronda has taken it to another degree. She shows by the way she performs in the Octagon that other fighters can use judo successfully in their strategy".
Jacare relays the undefeated women's champ has motivated him to use more judo techniques as it gives him an additional weapon to compete at the highest level. He is slated to face Gerard Mousasi in the main event of Foxwoods Resort that will be aired at Fox Sports 1. Souza will be looking to avenge a defeat he suffered from his upcoming opponent in 2008 when Mousasi knocked him out with a brutal up-kick as they contested the DREAM middleweight title. He was known then as a submission artist and was knocked out just two minutes into the match.
Souza was also prasing Mousasi, specially his improvement in jiu-jitsu saying, "It's incredible how much his jiu-jitsu has improved". A win over Mousasi will move him closer to the top of the middleweight rankings and possibly a shot at a title fight against the winner between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort on Dec. 6. Mousasi bowed to Lyoto Machida in a Fight Night Battle but has since recovered by submitting Mark Munoz last May 31 at Germany.
However, UFC promoter Dana White has made no guarantees of a title shot given that the Weidman-Belfort match is still months away. White, however, is impressed by the leaps and bounds in Souza's recent performances. His background in jiu-jitsu has earned the respect of his peers and has propelled him to explore other disciplines.
Souza, though, has made White into a fan with his recent performances. He has become one of the best-rounded fighters in the world. The respect opponents have for his jiu-jitsu has opened other areas for him to exploit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate