2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Spain, Brazil, Serbia to Next Round; Iran, France Battle Last Spot in Group A
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 2:24 PM EST
It’s the last day of the group phase of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. While top contenders like USA, Spain, Slovenia and Greece are comfortably atop their respective groups other teams are still positioning for better spots moving on to the next round even as others fight for survival.
Only the top four squads from each group will advance to the next round— the Round of 16, a knockout, single-elimination phase.
In Group A, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are officially into the KO phase while France and Iran will slug it out on Thursday for the final slot.
Group A – Team Standings
Group A Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
15:30 - Brazil vs. Egypt
18:00 - Iran vs. France
22:00 - Serbia vs. Spain
Spain has all but locked up the spot in Group A owing to their 82-63 victory over Brazil last Monday. They will be facing a Serbian squad aiming for their third win and in the tournament.
A Serbia loss coupled with an Iran win over France will mean a three-way tie at 2-3 between Serbia, Iran and France. In this case, quotients (margin of victory/defeat) will be considered. France won over Serbia, 73-72 and Serbia beat Iran, 83-70. Quotient (score difference) between the tied teams will be considered and Iran has to beat France by at least 7 points to advance along with Serbia.
However, if Serbia takes the upset victory over Spain, Iran just has to win (by any margin) over France to advance. The Brazil-Egypt game will be a non-bearing one as the Brazilians are already in the next round as the second seed in the group while the Egyptians are already eliminated.
Can the Asian champion Iran pull off the upset over France and even serve a blowout victory over the European champions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS