2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Spain, Brazil, Serbia to Next Round; Iran, France Battle Last Spot in Group A
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 2:24 PM EST
It’s the last day of the group phase of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. While top contenders like USA, Spain, Slovenia and Greece are comfortably atop their respective groups other teams are still positioning for better spots moving on to the next round even as others fight for survival.
Only the top four squads from each group will advance to the next round— the Round of 16, a knockout, single-elimination phase.
In Group A, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are officially into the KO phase while France and Iran will slug it out on Thursday for the final slot.
Group A – Team Standings
Group A Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
15:30 - Brazil vs. Egypt
18:00 - Iran vs. France
22:00 - Serbia vs. Spain
Spain has all but locked up the spot in Group A owing to their 82-63 victory over Brazil last Monday. They will be facing a Serbian squad aiming for their third win and in the tournament.
A Serbia loss coupled with an Iran win over France will mean a three-way tie at 2-3 between Serbia, Iran and France. In this case, quotients (margin of victory/defeat) will be considered. France won over Serbia, 73-72 and Serbia beat Iran, 83-70. Quotient (score difference) between the tied teams will be considered and Iran has to beat France by at least 7 points to advance along with Serbia.
However, if Serbia takes the upset victory over Spain, Iran just has to win (by any margin) over France to advance. The Brazil-Egypt game will be a non-bearing one as the Brazilians are already in the next round as the second seed in the group while the Egyptians are already eliminated.
Can the Asian champion Iran pull off the upset over France and even serve a blowout victory over the European champions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date