2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Spain, Brazil, Serbia to Next Round; Iran, France Battle Last Spot in Group A
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 2:24 PM EST
It’s the last day of the group phase of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. While top contenders like USA, Spain, Slovenia and Greece are comfortably atop their respective groups other teams are still positioning for better spots moving on to the next round even as others fight for survival.
Only the top four squads from each group will advance to the next round— the Round of 16, a knockout, single-elimination phase.
In Group A, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are officially into the KO phase while France and Iran will slug it out on Thursday for the final slot.
Group A – Team Standings
Group A Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
15:30 - Brazil vs. Egypt
18:00 - Iran vs. France
22:00 - Serbia vs. Spain
Spain has all but locked up the spot in Group A owing to their 82-63 victory over Brazil last Monday. They will be facing a Serbian squad aiming for their third win and in the tournament.
A Serbia loss coupled with an Iran win over France will mean a three-way tie at 2-3 between Serbia, Iran and France. In this case, quotients (margin of victory/defeat) will be considered. France won over Serbia, 73-72 and Serbia beat Iran, 83-70. Quotient (score difference) between the tied teams will be considered and Iran has to beat France by at least 7 points to advance along with Serbia.
However, if Serbia takes the upset victory over Spain, Iran just has to win (by any margin) over France to advance. The Brazil-Egypt game will be a non-bearing one as the Brazilians are already in the next round as the second seed in the group while the Egyptians are already eliminated.
Can the Asian champion Iran pull off the upset over France and even serve a blowout victory over the European champions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO