2014 FIBA World Cup Update: Spain, Brazil, Serbia to Next Round; Iran, France Battle Last Spot in Group A
By James Patrick Quizon | September 4, 2014 2:24 PM EST
It’s the last day of the group phase of the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. While top contenders like USA, Spain, Slovenia and Greece are comfortably atop their respective groups other teams are still positioning for better spots moving on to the next round even as others fight for survival.
Only the top four squads from each group will advance to the next round— the Round of 16, a knockout, single-elimination phase.
In Group A, only Spain, Brazil and Serbia are officially into the KO phase while France and Iran will slug it out on Thursday for the final slot.
Group A – Team Standings
Group A Schedule – Sept. 4 (Thursday) – All times in Spain
15:30 - Brazil vs. Egypt
18:00 - Iran vs. France
22:00 - Serbia vs. Spain
Spain has all but locked up the spot in Group A owing to their 82-63 victory over Brazil last Monday. They will be facing a Serbian squad aiming for their third win and in the tournament.
A Serbia loss coupled with an Iran win over France will mean a three-way tie at 2-3 between Serbia, Iran and France. In this case, quotients (margin of victory/defeat) will be considered. France won over Serbia, 73-72 and Serbia beat Iran, 83-70. Quotient (score difference) between the tied teams will be considered and Iran has to beat France by at least 7 points to advance along with Serbia.
However, if Serbia takes the upset victory over Spain, Iran just has to win (by any margin) over France to advance. The Brazil-Egypt game will be a non-bearing one as the Brazilians are already in the next round as the second seed in the group while the Egyptians are already eliminated.
Can the Asian champion Iran pull off the upset over France and even serve a blowout victory over the European champions?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu