Boxing News 2014: Money May’s Condition For The Dream Match Is Pacquiao Must Sign Up With Mayweather Promotions
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 4, 2014 2:11 PM EST
Despite the disclosure last week by Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum that Showtime/CBS and HBO are discussing the possibility of having two Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather bouts in 2015, Money May doused cold water on the fight.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
He told Black Sports Online writer Kel Dansby at a media event at his Las Vegas gym that he would only agree to face the Filipino champ in the ring if the congressman will sign with his Mayweather Promotions.
With Mayweather's condition, the dream match is next to dead because Pacquiao;s contract with Top Rank runs until December 2016, which means the earliest time the bout could take place is January 2017 when Mayweather turns 40 and Pacquao would be 38 by then.
In response to Mayweather's latest demand, Pacquiao replied, quoted by the Los Angeles Times, "I want to give the people what they want, the fight with Mayweathere, but what can I do if he doesn't want to fight?"
Pacquiao added, "He's ducking another opponent, and it's known all over the world who he should fight. So ... I feel sorry for him. What he needs is ... to know how to communicate with people. That's why I'm so happy and have peace of mind."
For the fight to happen before the two boxers get too old, Arum said there should be cooperation between HBO, Pacquiao's pay-per-view network, and Showtime, where Mayweather is signed up.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced