Boxing News 2014: Money May’s Condition For The Dream Match Is Pacquiao Must Sign Up With Mayweather Promotions
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 4, 2014 2:11 PM EST
Despite the disclosure last week by Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum that Showtime/CBS and HBO are discussing the possibility of having two Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather bouts in 2015, Money May doused cold water on the fight.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
He told Black Sports Online writer Kel Dansby at a media event at his Las Vegas gym that he would only agree to face the Filipino champ in the ring if the congressman will sign with his Mayweather Promotions.
With Mayweather's condition, the dream match is next to dead because Pacquiao;s contract with Top Rank runs until December 2016, which means the earliest time the bout could take place is January 2017 when Mayweather turns 40 and Pacquao would be 38 by then.
In response to Mayweather's latest demand, Pacquiao replied, quoted by the Los Angeles Times, "I want to give the people what they want, the fight with Mayweathere, but what can I do if he doesn't want to fight?"
Pacquiao added, "He's ducking another opponent, and it's known all over the world who he should fight. So ... I feel sorry for him. What he needs is ... to know how to communicate with people. That's why I'm so happy and have peace of mind."
For the fight to happen before the two boxers get too old, Arum said there should be cooperation between HBO, Pacquiao's pay-per-view network, and Showtime, where Mayweather is signed up.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym