Dwayne Johnson Confirms Playing Anti-Hero ‘Black Adam’ in Upcoming Shazam Movie
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | September 4, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, has confirmed that he is going play Black Adam, the DC Comic villain, in an upcoming movie.
Johnson earlier tweeted the update to give the confirmation of the possible casting which has been speculated for years now. The DC Comics anti-hero, dressed in gold and red, is the adversary of Shazam, the superhero who was earlier known as Captain Marvel. It has also been revealed that Warner Bros. registered several web domains, indicating potential movies with DC superheroes. One of the domains indicates Shazam as a potential future project.
Actor Dwayne Johnson arrives at the Hollywood premiere of "Journey 2 :The Mysterious Island" in Los Angeles, California February 2, 2012.
New Line Cinema, which would later merge into Warner Bros. in 2008, started developing the concept of making a movie on the superhero during the earlier part of 2000s. The official IMDb page of the movie is yet to disclose the name of the director. Bill Birch, along with Geoff Johns, is credited as the writers of the movie. Peter Segal, who directed successful movies like 50 First Dates, was announced to be the producer of the upcoming movie. Johnson, on the other hand, is the only star so far to have been confirmed to be a part of the movie.
The character of Black Adam was originally created by C. C. Beck and Otto Binder in 1945. Even though it was first conceptualised as an anti-hero for Fawcett Comics "Marvel Family," it later started being a frequent character in "Shazam!" in the 70s. The 21st century update of the character changed him to be a character which tried to "clear him name" from the corruption charges.
One of the mythological figures which Shazam is based on happens to be Hercules. Interestingly, Johnson earlier played the character in his last movie. The wrestler-turned-movie star earlier indicated that his movie career might not last longer as, according to him, "Fast & Furious 7" might be the last time he would act in a movie. However, his confirmation to be a part of the upcoming Shazam movie may indicate a further extension of Johnson's movie career.
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) September 3, 2014
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’