Dwayne Johnson Confirms Playing Anti-Hero ‘Black Adam’ in Upcoming Shazam Movie
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | September 4, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, has confirmed that he is going play Black Adam, the DC Comic villain, in an upcoming movie.
Johnson earlier tweeted the update to give the confirmation of the possible casting which has been speculated for years now. The DC Comics anti-hero, dressed in gold and red, is the adversary of Shazam, the superhero who was earlier known as Captain Marvel. It has also been revealed that Warner Bros. registered several web domains, indicating potential movies with DC superheroes. One of the domains indicates Shazam as a potential future project.
Actor Dwayne Johnson arrives at the Hollywood premiere of "Journey 2 :The Mysterious Island" in Los Angeles, California February 2, 2012.
New Line Cinema, which would later merge into Warner Bros. in 2008, started developing the concept of making a movie on the superhero during the earlier part of 2000s. The official IMDb page of the movie is yet to disclose the name of the director. Bill Birch, along with Geoff Johns, is credited as the writers of the movie. Peter Segal, who directed successful movies like 50 First Dates, was announced to be the producer of the upcoming movie. Johnson, on the other hand, is the only star so far to have been confirmed to be a part of the movie.
The character of Black Adam was originally created by C. C. Beck and Otto Binder in 1945. Even though it was first conceptualised as an anti-hero for Fawcett Comics "Marvel Family," it later started being a frequent character in "Shazam!" in the 70s. The 21st century update of the character changed him to be a character which tried to "clear him name" from the corruption charges.
One of the mythological figures which Shazam is based on happens to be Hercules. Interestingly, Johnson earlier played the character in his last movie. The wrestler-turned-movie star earlier indicated that his movie career might not last longer as, according to him, "Fast & Furious 7" might be the last time he would act in a movie. However, his confirmation to be a part of the upcoming Shazam movie may indicate a further extension of Johnson's movie career.
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) September 3, 2014
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports