Dwayne Johnson Confirms Playing Anti-Hero ‘Black Adam’ in Upcoming Shazam Movie
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | September 4, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, has confirmed that he is going play Black Adam, the DC Comic villain, in an upcoming movie.
Johnson earlier tweeted the update to give the confirmation of the possible casting which has been speculated for years now. The DC Comics anti-hero, dressed in gold and red, is the adversary of Shazam, the superhero who was earlier known as Captain Marvel. It has also been revealed that Warner Bros. registered several web domains, indicating potential movies with DC superheroes. One of the domains indicates Shazam as a potential future project.
Actor Dwayne Johnson arrives at the Hollywood premiere of "Journey 2 :The Mysterious Island" in Los Angeles, California February 2, 2012.
New Line Cinema, which would later merge into Warner Bros. in 2008, started developing the concept of making a movie on the superhero during the earlier part of 2000s. The official IMDb page of the movie is yet to disclose the name of the director. Bill Birch, along with Geoff Johns, is credited as the writers of the movie. Peter Segal, who directed successful movies like 50 First Dates, was announced to be the producer of the upcoming movie. Johnson, on the other hand, is the only star so far to have been confirmed to be a part of the movie.
The character of Black Adam was originally created by C. C. Beck and Otto Binder in 1945. Even though it was first conceptualised as an anti-hero for Fawcett Comics "Marvel Family," it later started being a frequent character in "Shazam!" in the 70s. The 21st century update of the character changed him to be a character which tried to "clear him name" from the corruption charges.
One of the mythological figures which Shazam is based on happens to be Hercules. Interestingly, Johnson earlier played the character in his last movie. The wrestler-turned-movie star earlier indicated that his movie career might not last longer as, according to him, "Fast & Furious 7" might be the last time he would act in a movie. However, his confirmation to be a part of the upcoming Shazam movie may indicate a further extension of Johnson's movie career.
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) September 3, 2014
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]