$99 Xiaomi Redmi 1S Specifications Roundup: Creates History Again With Sales Of 40,000 Units In 4.2 Seconds
By Pavithra Rathinavel | September 4, 2014 11:28 AM EST
Xiaomi is at it again. The company's new Xiaomi Redmi 1S smartphone that was recently launched in India has created a record yet again. On Tuesday, Xiaomi announced a flash sale of the Redmi 1S handset in India. Unlike the Mi3 and Mi4, the Xiaomi Redmi 1S phone is a budget-friendly device. As per reports, a whopping 40,000 smartphone units were sold within 4.2 seconds from the time the sale went live.
Three models of China's Xiaomi Mi phones are pictured during their launch in New Delhi July 15, 2014. China's Xiaomi said it intends to invest heavily in India as the budget smartphone maker launched on Tuesday its flagship Mi phone and other products in the world's third largest smartphone market, currently dominated by Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.
This affordable Xiaomi handset is priced at INR 5,999 that roughly translates to US$99 and AU$106. Apparently, the price quoted in India is even cheaper than the price in China. This is one of the very reasons the phone created so much interest and outdid the expectations in India, says GSM Arena.
As it turns out, a total of 250,000+ interested buyers pre-registered for the flash sale. Notably, it is a mandatory process to get registered before being able to buy any Xiaomi device. Even after the sale of 40,000 units, the demand was rife and many people were left to go empty-handed owing to lack of stock. Despite this, the registration for the next set of Xiaomi Redmi 1S handset has begun in India with Flipkart being the exclusive online retail store.
As GSM Arena puts it, the company underestimated the demand for budget-friendly phones in India. However, the lack of supply is indirectly helping Xiaomi to create the curiousness and buzz pertaining to its devices in emerging markets.
As far as the specification goes, the Xiaomi Redmi 1S handset features a 4.7-inch IPS LCD display complemented by 720 x 1,280 pixels resolution and 312 ppi pixel density. The smartphone is powered by a quad-core (Snapdragon 400) Cortex-A7 processor clocked at 1.6 GHz. In addition, the device is backed by 1 GB of RAM.
When it comes to OS, the device runs on Android v4.3 Jelly Bean OS with MIUI v5 on top of it. However the good news is, Xiaomi announced that the Redmi 1S smartphone will get an upgrade to Android v4.4 KitKat OS with the latest MIUI v6 towards the end of 2014.
The handset comes with 8 GB of internal storage capacity and microSD card slot for expansion up to 32 GB. In addition, the smartphone sports an 8 MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and a 1.6 MP front-facing snapper. The device is powered by a good Li-Po 2000 mAh battery unit and it supports dual-SIM.
Xiaomi Redmi 1S's rear panel is alterable. Also, the company will be offering colourful back panels for INR 459 in India, which roughly translates to US$7 and AU$8.
2. HTC One M8's Plastic-Equivalent 'HTC One E8' Priced At $99.99 With Sprint - [Read]
3. Moto G2 (At $214) vs. Moto G - Early Specifications And Price Comparison- [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build