Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Gear VR: Game Changer Feature May Advance Gaming Technology
By Gel Galang | September 4, 2014 11:09 AM EST
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 was finally and officially unveiled. It seems to be the upgrade not only for the Note series but to the brand in general. With upgrades seen in the metal frame, the screen size and QHD resolution, better camera, improved S Pen stylus and a choice in processor, it seems that the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has geared up the brand to become a viable competition to bigger brands.
A visitor holds a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone at the Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event ahead of the IFA Electronics show in Berlin, September 3, 2014. A visitor holds a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone at the Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event ahead of the IFA Electronics show in Berlin, September 3, 2014.
However, one added value for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 may be the Gear VR that is the touted accessory to the South Korean company's new phablet. According to Wired, the Gear VR is in the style of the Oculus Rift, one of the most known and awaited VR headsets to debut for console gaming.
What sounds cool and innovative about the Gear VR is that it is tailor-made for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, as you need to insert the Note 4 into the face mask for the Gear VR to transform the device into a virtual reality combo. According to the source, the Gear VR and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 combo was very immersive, whether it was with a concert, a virtual environment or a game.
The Verge adds that apart from the immersive experience, the Gear VR has more advantages over other similar devices. Comparing it to the Google Cardboard, the Gear VR can be strapped to your face, so you can be immersed in the experience. In addition, you can also switch off the VR mode by enabling the rear camera of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Of course, there is also a limitation to the Gear VR, starting with the fact that it is only compatible to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and no other Samsung devices.
As far as usability of the combination goes, reports have pointed to the Gear VR being powered completely by the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. And while this could pose as a problem battery-wise, this may not necessarily be the case. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has been revealed to have the Ultra Power Saver mode that will allegedly allow it to last 24 hours even with just 10% battery life.
There is also the rapid charging rate that according to Phone Arena, allows the device to charge from 0% to 50% in just 30 minutes. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4's 3220mAh battery may not necessarily become a very big issue even with the Gear VR included in the equation.
Samsung has yet to announce on how this will be fueling the mobile gaming arm of the brand. Seeing as how Apple has started to become more aggressive in mobile gaming, the Gear VR may be Samsung's way of carving its own niche, though this has yet to be seen once the Gear VR becomes available to consumers.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS