Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Gear VR: Game Changer Feature May Advance Gaming Technology
By Gel Galang | September 4, 2014 11:09 AM EST
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 was finally and officially unveiled. It seems to be the upgrade not only for the Note series but to the brand in general. With upgrades seen in the metal frame, the screen size and QHD resolution, better camera, improved S Pen stylus and a choice in processor, it seems that the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has geared up the brand to become a viable competition to bigger brands.
A visitor holds a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone at the Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event ahead of the IFA Electronics show in Berlin, September 3, 2014. A visitor holds a new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone at the Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event ahead of the IFA Electronics show in Berlin, September 3, 2014.
‘Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel’ Season Pack And DLCs Showcased As Old Villain Becomes A Playable Character
However, one added value for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 may be the Gear VR that is the touted accessory to the South Korean company's new phablet. According to Wired, the Gear VR is in the style of the Oculus Rift, one of the most known and awaited VR headsets to debut for console gaming.
What sounds cool and innovative about the Gear VR is that it is tailor-made for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, as you need to insert the Note 4 into the face mask for the Gear VR to transform the device into a virtual reality combo. According to the source, the Gear VR and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 combo was very immersive, whether it was with a concert, a virtual environment or a game.
The Verge adds that apart from the immersive experience, the Gear VR has more advantages over other similar devices. Comparing it to the Google Cardboard, the Gear VR can be strapped to your face, so you can be immersed in the experience. In addition, you can also switch off the VR mode by enabling the rear camera of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Of course, there is also a limitation to the Gear VR, starting with the fact that it is only compatible to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and no other Samsung devices.
As far as usability of the combination goes, reports have pointed to the Gear VR being powered completely by the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. And while this could pose as a problem battery-wise, this may not necessarily be the case. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has been revealed to have the Ultra Power Saver mode that will allegedly allow it to last 24 hours even with just 10% battery life.
There is also the rapid charging rate that according to Phone Arena, allows the device to charge from 0% to 50% in just 30 minutes. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4's 3220mAh battery may not necessarily become a very big issue even with the Gear VR included in the equation.
Samsung has yet to announce on how this will be fueling the mobile gaming arm of the brand. Seeing as how Apple has started to become more aggressive in mobile gaming, the Gear VR may be Samsung's way of carving its own niche, though this has yet to be seen once the Gear VR becomes available to consumers.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Disappointing In-Game Factors And Pixelated Downloadable Pirated Copies
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- ‘Minecraft’ Buyout By Microsoft Complete as Mojang's Notch Says His Farewell
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet