Captain America Fights Hawkeye, Details Revealed
By Tanya Diente | September 4, 2014 11:04 AM EST
Brothers and co-directors James and Anthony Russo revealed that in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," Cap and Hawkeye were supposed to have a fight scene. This sequence was eventually cut in the final movie however it would have shown that Hawkeye became a S.H.I.E.L.D. traitor but for a good reason.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
In an interview with Screenrant, Joe Russo explained in detail the fight scene between Captain America and Hawkeye.
"There was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him," Joe started.
"Then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap's ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D," he concluded.
According to Joe, the fight scene was initially scripted to show fans just how loyal Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is to his crew. The sequence was reportedly meant to "complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends." Likewise, it was to answer the question of whether he would believe S.H.I.E.L.D. if told that Cap was a fugitive. The director acknowledged it was "heartbreaking" to have to delete that scene. But if they had pushed through with it, then it would have reportedly only be a conflict in Renner's hectic schedule.
However, Hawkeye fans need not worry that they missed Renner in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Reports claim the actor is set to join the third movie installment.
According to Movieweb, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" scriptwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely may put Hawkeye in "Captain America 3." The actor himself reportedly also hinted his involvement when he said there are "rumblings of 'Captain America 3.'" Although he didn't specify any details, he claimed he would have to "find the time" for the movie.
"Captain America 3" comes to U.S. theatres on May 6, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop