Captain America Fights Hawkeye, Details Revealed
By Tanya Diente | September 4, 2014 11:04 AM EST
Brothers and co-directors James and Anthony Russo revealed that in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," Cap and Hawkeye were supposed to have a fight scene. This sequence was eventually cut in the final movie however it would have shown that Hawkeye became a S.H.I.E.L.D. traitor but for a good reason.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
In an interview with Screenrant, Joe Russo explained in detail the fight scene between Captain America and Hawkeye.
"There was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him," Joe started.
"Then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap's ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D," he concluded.
According to Joe, the fight scene was initially scripted to show fans just how loyal Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is to his crew. The sequence was reportedly meant to "complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends." Likewise, it was to answer the question of whether he would believe S.H.I.E.L.D. if told that Cap was a fugitive. The director acknowledged it was "heartbreaking" to have to delete that scene. But if they had pushed through with it, then it would have reportedly only be a conflict in Renner's hectic schedule.
However, Hawkeye fans need not worry that they missed Renner in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Reports claim the actor is set to join the third movie installment.
According to Movieweb, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" scriptwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely may put Hawkeye in "Captain America 3." The actor himself reportedly also hinted his involvement when he said there are "rumblings of 'Captain America 3.'" Although he didn't specify any details, he claimed he would have to "find the time" for the movie.
"Captain America 3" comes to U.S. theatres on May 6, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft