Captain America Fights Hawkeye, Details Revealed
By Tanya Diente | September 4, 2014 11:04 AM EST
Brothers and co-directors James and Anthony Russo revealed that in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," Cap and Hawkeye were supposed to have a fight scene. This sequence was eventually cut in the final movie however it would have shown that Hawkeye became a S.H.I.E.L.D. traitor but for a good reason.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
In an interview with Screenrant, Joe Russo explained in detail the fight scene between Captain America and Hawkeye.
"There was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him," Joe started.
"Then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap's ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D," he concluded.
According to Joe, the fight scene was initially scripted to show fans just how loyal Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is to his crew. The sequence was reportedly meant to "complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends." Likewise, it was to answer the question of whether he would believe S.H.I.E.L.D. if told that Cap was a fugitive. The director acknowledged it was "heartbreaking" to have to delete that scene. But if they had pushed through with it, then it would have reportedly only be a conflict in Renner's hectic schedule.
However, Hawkeye fans need not worry that they missed Renner in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Reports claim the actor is set to join the third movie installment.
According to Movieweb, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" scriptwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely may put Hawkeye in "Captain America 3." The actor himself reportedly also hinted his involvement when he said there are "rumblings of 'Captain America 3.'" Although he didn't specify any details, he claimed he would have to "find the time" for the movie.
"Captain America 3" comes to U.S. theatres on May 6, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best