Captain America Fights Hawkeye, Details Revealed
By Tanya Diente | September 4, 2014 11:04 AM EST
Brothers and co-directors James and Anthony Russo revealed that in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," Cap and Hawkeye were supposed to have a fight scene. This sequence was eventually cut in the final movie however it would have shown that Hawkeye became a S.H.I.E.L.D. traitor but for a good reason.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
In an interview with Screenrant, Joe Russo explained in detail the fight scene between Captain America and Hawkeye.
"There was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him," Joe started.
"Then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap's ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D," he concluded.
According to Joe, the fight scene was initially scripted to show fans just how loyal Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is to his crew. The sequence was reportedly meant to "complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends." Likewise, it was to answer the question of whether he would believe S.H.I.E.L.D. if told that Cap was a fugitive. The director acknowledged it was "heartbreaking" to have to delete that scene. But if they had pushed through with it, then it would have reportedly only be a conflict in Renner's hectic schedule.
However, Hawkeye fans need not worry that they missed Renner in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Reports claim the actor is set to join the third movie installment.
According to Movieweb, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" scriptwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely may put Hawkeye in "Captain America 3." The actor himself reportedly also hinted his involvement when he said there are "rumblings of 'Captain America 3.'" Although he didn't specify any details, he claimed he would have to "find the time" for the movie.
"Captain America 3" comes to U.S. theatres on May 6, 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles