Kim Kardashian to be Paid $85 Million: The Mobile App Hollywood a Super Hit
By Merlyn D'costa | September 4, 2014 8:59 AM EST
The famous reality television personality, Kimberly Kardashian "Kim" West debuts in a game that was launched three months ago. The actress will spin millions of dollars from her app.
Kanye West wants his 34-years old wife to quite the reality show./File photo/Reuters/Carlo Allegri
Based on her life the game has become a surprise hit. The buzz is that by introducing famous Hollywood Star, block buster hit movies and television hit series into games, developers of smartphones and tablets would make large profits.
In the video game that has become a sensation, players meet a beautiful stranger at a bar. They have to choose between flirting with the damsel or go about their work.
The main strategy of the game is for the player to become rich and famous from a no body. The player has to climb the ladder to success of a Hollywood food chain. Basically, it is a rag to riches story.
According to the tracking firm AppAnnie, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is in the top 5 game list in the iPhone app store and top 10 in the Google Play Store. Estimation says that it will gross $200 million to $234 million by the coming summer making it the top mobile app game.
Many consoles and computer video games were inspired by blockbusters and television shows. The success of Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is a door to a new trend in mobile gaming.
The mobile game app was created by Glu Games, their chief executive Niccolo de Masi said, "In Hollywood, when they are losing the predictability of things like the DVD business, there is an unparalleled opportunity to get into the gaming business."
Market research done by IDC has estimated spending on video games could rise in the U.S. to $30 billion by 2020.
The IDC gaming analyst Lewis Ward said that entertainment oriented companies have to develop trans-media. He was referring to the collaboration between movies and gaming.
Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is the first app solely based on an individual. Other apps that had sprinter Usain Bolt and singer Jennifer Lopez did not see the kind of success the Kardashian app is enjoying.
The simplicity of the app has gained popularity among its users. Kim Kardashian West regularly appears in the game. The app is free but in-app purchases to buy glamorous virtual clothes and energy booster along with pop-up advertisement are the revenue generators.
Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz estimated that Kardashian will receive 50 per cent of the game profit. She would be paid $85 million at the end of the year by the app. Forbes estimates this amount to be more than she earns from any other source.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- New iPhone 7 Display Possibly in the Works as Foxconn Builds New Display Factory Exclusive to Apple
- Apple iPhone 7 Release Roundup: Release Date, Liquidmetal and New Design Technology
- Apple Moves to Sapphire but Corning Makes Tougher Gorilla Glass
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills