Mary Berry Wants Her Children to Help Her Die at 90 to Avoid Old Age-Related Illnesses
By Smitha Nambiar | September 3, 2014 6:26 PM EST
The 79-year-old Mary Berry, who is a judge on the popular TV show The Great British Bake Off, in an interview with Radio Times, said that she would not like to live beyond 90 years of age. She also said that she would want her children "to give me a pill" if she were ever to become a burden to her family.
Even though her mother lived up to 105 years, Mary Berry, cookery writer-turned-TV star, has no desire to live beyond 90. In an interview with Radio Times, Berry said, "I have no desire to be a centenarian. I think 90 is a great time. You've had a good innings. You have to deal with the cards that have been dealt, of course, but I don't think very old age, if you haven't got your marbles, can be very nice."
Citing the example of her mother who enjoyed good health until her last few months, Berry said that it is important to remain healthy. Her father too, who died in the 1990s, lived until he was 85.
Though she is completely aware that the British law does not permit euthanasia, and there is nothing that she can do about it, she said, "But I would love my children to be able to give me a pill, although of course I do understand that could be abused."
This controversial remark from Mary Berry was a result of a comment made by the Radio Times interviewer about her mother who would "want to be shot" than live an undignified life with dementia. Agreeing with the interviewer, Berry said, "I'm with your mother."
Mary Berry, who has been part of the Bake Off TV show since its launch in 2010, has two children - Thomas and Annabel. She lost one of her sons, William, in a car accident in 1989 when he was 19 years old.
The veteran baker, who is married to husband Paul Hunnings for 48 long years, enjoys a healthy life in spite of having polio. She added that she is extremely happy and content with her life and looks forward to "continue to be a good granny and a good wife."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan