Mary Berry Wants Her Children to Help Her Die at 90 to Avoid Old Age-Related Illnesses
By Smitha Nambiar | September 3, 2014 6:26 PM EST
The 79-year-old Mary Berry, who is a judge on the popular TV show The Great British Bake Off, in an interview with Radio Times, said that she would not like to live beyond 90 years of age. She also said that she would want her children "to give me a pill" if she were ever to become a burden to her family.
Even though her mother lived up to 105 years, Mary Berry, cookery writer-turned-TV star, has no desire to live beyond 90. In an interview with Radio Times, Berry said, "I have no desire to be a centenarian. I think 90 is a great time. You've had a good innings. You have to deal with the cards that have been dealt, of course, but I don't think very old age, if you haven't got your marbles, can be very nice."
Citing the example of her mother who enjoyed good health until her last few months, Berry said that it is important to remain healthy. Her father too, who died in the 1990s, lived until he was 85.
Though she is completely aware that the British law does not permit euthanasia, and there is nothing that she can do about it, she said, "But I would love my children to be able to give me a pill, although of course I do understand that could be abused."
This controversial remark from Mary Berry was a result of a comment made by the Radio Times interviewer about her mother who would "want to be shot" than live an undignified life with dementia. Agreeing with the interviewer, Berry said, "I'm with your mother."
Mary Berry, who has been part of the Bake Off TV show since its launch in 2010, has two children - Thomas and Annabel. She lost one of her sons, William, in a car accident in 1989 when he was 19 years old.
The veteran baker, who is married to husband Paul Hunnings for 48 long years, enjoys a healthy life in spite of having polio. She added that she is extremely happy and content with her life and looks forward to "continue to be a good granny and a good wife."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family